- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Christopher Wilmarth, American (Sonoma, CA 1943 - 1987 New York, NY)
- Artist's documents: Breath exhibition, Studio for the First Amendment, May 1-29, 1982
- Archival Material
- Work Type
- archival material
- Persistent Link
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, The Christopher Wilmarth Archive, Gift of Susan Wilmarth-Rabineau
- © Estate of Christopher Wilmarth / Susan Wilmarth-Rabineau
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- 1) 2 black-and-white photographs of an installation view that shows 6 wallpieces. On verso, both are stamped and labeled by Wilmarth in black ink as "Wilmarth / Studio for First Amendment / Breath Exhibition 1982."
2) 4 black-and-white photographs of an installation view of one wall with poems and 2 sculptures. In 2 of the images the windowshade is drawn, in 2 it is lifted. On verso all photos labeled as above, except one which is additionally labeled "New York" and "Photo J. Thomson [sic]" and has a copyright stamp hand-dated 1982.
3) 3 black-and-white photographs of an installation view of 2 walls of pastels and/or paintings. On verso all labeled as above except for the third which also has Jerry L. Thompson's photo credit stamp, and perhaps, in graphite, a date (?), though it reads 6-82, which would be after the show had closed.
4) 1 black-and-white photograph of 6 wallpieces. Labeled on verso with Wilmarth's stamp and hand as above, though it does not include the name of the Studio. This photo also bears Jerry L. Thompson's photo credit stamp and the date (?) 6-82 in graphite.
5) 3 black-and-white photographs of case holding bound book and portfolio of etchings for Mallarme poems. All labeled on verso as above, except the third which has Wilmarth's handwriting in graphite as follows:
"Artist-Seven Poems by Stephen Mallarme, translated by Frederick Morgan with Images by Christopher Wilmarth.
Bound Book and Portfolio of Etchings 1981-82
(c) Christopher Wilmarth + Frederick Morgan 1982
courtesy the above
Photo credit Jerry L Thomson [sic]
_NOTE_ WILL BE IN EXHIBITION."
6) 4 black-and-white photographs showing a wall with 7 wallpieces. On verso all labeled with Wilmarth's stamp and handwriting as generally seen above, except for the fourth which bears the same information only in black ink and a copyright stamp hand-dated 1982.
7) 3 black-and-white photographs of installation view with 10 works on paper, a wallpiece, and the case with the book of etchings. All labeled on verso as seen above but for the third which is labeled in Wilmarth's hand including name of photographer (Thompson) and bears Wilmarth's copyight stamp hand-dated 1982.
8) 2 black-and-white photographs of installation view with 6 paintings and 1 wallpiece. Both labeled on verso as seen above, although the second one includes Thompson's name and a copyright stamp hand-dated 1982.
9) 1 sheet of 20 color slides of installation views, some labeled "Installation Shot-Breath" by Wilmarth in black ink and stamped with his copyright. Processed June 1982.
10) 1 dissected copy of the exhibition announcement: notecard with color photograph of Saint and exhibition information, a thin paper insert with opening announcement, and Studio for the First Amendment envelope.
11) 8 copies of above announcement nestled in original envelopes.
12) 8 xeroxed sheets of list of works in order as placed throughout Studio space, many marked as sold.
- Exhibition History
- Subjects and Contexts
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org