- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Black and white chalk on faded blue laid paper
- 33.2 × 28 cm (13 1/16 × 11 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: lower left, graphite: HOMER / 1864
- inscription: center, white chalk: BR[?]
- gallery label: back of former frame, printed and inscribed: M. KNOEDLER & CO., INC / 14 EAST 57TH STREET / NEW YORK, N.Y. / [printed:] P [black ballpoint ink:] WCA 2332 [printed:] F / [printed:] TITLE [black ballpoint ink:] "Two Zouaves" / by / WINSLOW HOMER / [blue crayon:] #39 / [black ballpoint ink:] CHARCOAL DRAWING
- gallery label: back of former frame: ATHERTON / GALLERY / ATHERTON, CA.
- Winslow Homer, sold [through Charles F. Libbie & Co., Boston, May 29, 1878]. Dr. Henry C. Angell, Boston, before 1879, gift; to Ingersoll Bowditch, Boston, circa 1925, by descent; to Sylvia Scudder Bowditch, Cornelia Bowditch, and Katherine Bowditch Codman, Boston, circa 1935, sold; to [The Old Print Shop, New York] and [M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1959] , sold; to Ethel and Oscar Huffman, 1963, by descent; to private collection, United States, circa 1970, sold; [through Sotheby's, New York, November 21, 2016, lot 13]; to Harvard Art Museums, 2016
 According to the Knoedler Stockbook, the drawing was co-owned by The Old Print Shop and M. Knoedler & Co.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Richard Norton Memorial Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The figure at left is incised, and the verso of the drawing behind this figure is blackened with chalk.
- Publication History
Catalogue of an Exhibition of Contemporary Art held under the direction of The Boston Art Club, the Boston Society of Architects, and the Schools at the Museum, exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, 1879), p. 33, no. 645, as "Study of Zouaves"
Winslow Homer, exh. cat., Worcester Art Museum (Worcester, MA, 1944), no. 85
A Loan Exhibition of Winslow Homer for the Benefit of the New York Botanical Garden, exh. cat., Wildenstein & Company (New York, 1947), no. 89, as "Zouaves"
Winslow Homer: A Retrospective Exhibition, exh. cat., National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C, 1958), p. 128, cat. no. 195
Winslow Homer: A Retrospective Exhibition, exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, MA, 1959), p. 102, cat. no. 151, as "Zouaves"
Lucretia Hoover Giese, "Winslow Homer: Painter of the Civil War" (Ph.D Diss., Harvard University, 1985), Unpublished, p. 247 note 55
Lloyd Goodrich and Abigail Booth Gerdts, Record of Works by Winslow Homer, Spanierman Gallery (New York, 2005-2014), vol. 1, p. 289, no. 234, repr. p. 289
- Exhibition History
Exhibition of Contemporary Art, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 04/22/1879 - 05/24/1879
Winslow Homer, Worcester Art Museum, Worcester, 11/16/1944 - 12/17/1944
A Loan Exhibition of Works by Winslow Homer for the Benefit of the New York Botanical Gardens, Wildenstein Gallery, New York, New York, 02/19/1947 - 03/22/1947
Winslow Homer: A Retrospective Exhibition, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 11/23/1958 - 01/04/1959; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 01/29/1959 - 03/08/1959; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Boston, 03/26/1959 - 05/03/1959
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com