- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
- Illustrated Manuscript of the Gulistān (Rose Garden) by Sa`di
- Work Type
- Late 19th century
- Creation Place: Middle East, Iran
- Qajar period
- Physical Descriptions
- Colored ink, watercolor, and gold on off-white laid paper (coated and burnished), leather binding
- 22.8 x 15 cm (9 x 5 7/8 in.)
- Ezzat-Malek Soudavar, Geneva, Switzerland (by 2014), by descent; to her son Abolala Soudavar, Houston, Texas (2014), loan; to Harvard Art Museums, 2015.
Ezzat-Malek Soudavar (1913-2014) formed this collection over a period of sixty years. She purchased the works of art on the international art market.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Loan from A. Soudavar in memory of his mother Ezzat-Malek Soudavar
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The manuscript opens with a richly illuminated heading and margins. The text is copied in nasta`liq by Fathallah, also known as Jalal, for Aqa Mirza Mahdi Khan kalantar, ra’is dar of Isfahan. Most of the fourteen paintings are signed “Ibrahim” in red ink. The back of the folios with paintings are decorated with a large diamond shaped medallion in different colors.
The binding is decorated with center and corner pieces decorated with filigree leather. The horizontal pendants have the name of the poet Jami. The doublures are decorated with center pieces with pendants.
- Exhibition History
Technologies of the Image: Art in 19th-Century Iran, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 08/26/2017 - 01/07/2018
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at email@example.com