- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Opaque watercolor, gold-colored pigments, and lacquer over brass and tin layers on pasteboard
- 3.2 × 3.6 × 21.8 cm (1 1/4 × 1 7/16 × 8 9/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
راقمه ابوالحسن الغفاری نقاشباشی
یا وهّاب ۱۲۷۱
Painted by Abu al-Hasan al-Ghaffari, Chief Painter
O Munificent One! 1854-55
- Ezzat-Malek Soudavar, Geneva, Switzerland (by 2014), by descent; to her son Abolala Soudavar, Houston, Texas (2014), gift; to Harvard Art Museums, 2014.
Ezzat-Malek Soudavar (1913-2014) formed this collection over a period of sixty years. She purchased the works of art on the international art market.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Gift of A. Soudavar in memory of his mother Ezzat-Malek Soudavar
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Cover and sliding compartment with rounded ends. The top is decorated in vertical format with an oblong cartouche containing the Virgin and Child, a white-bearded man, and a winged putto. The rest of the top and the sides are covered with densely painted illumination. The base and outer surfaces of the compartment are painted with a gold arabesque on a red background. Inside the compartment, multicolored flowers are painted on a gold background.
- Exhibition History
Technologies of the Image: Art in 19th-Century Iran, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 08/26/2017 - 01/07/2018
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org