- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Hi Red Center, Japanese (active 1960s)
Designed by George Maciunas, American (Kaunas, Lithuania 1931 - 1978 Boston, MA)
Published by Fluxus, American
Edited by Shigeko Kubota, Japanese (born 1937)
- Bundle of Events
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Printed sheet crumpled in a ball and tied with twine.
- Barbara Moore, Bound/Unbound, New York, New York, partial gift partial purchase; to Harvard University Art Museums, June 28, 2005.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Barbara and Peter Moore Fluxus Collection, Margaret Fisher Fund and gift of Barbara Moore/Bound & Unbound
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- This represents a second, and less common, version of M23685. The crumpled sheet, edited by Shigeko Kubota and designed and produced by George Maciunas, is printed on both sides and documents a series of events by the Japanese Fluxus collective in Tokyo in 1963. The idea to distribute the poster crumpled in a ball may have come from Marcel Duchamp's poster-catalogue for the 1953 exhibition "DADA 1916-1923" at the Sidney Janis Gallery in NYC, which were crumpled into balls and placed in wastebaskets for visitors to retrieve.
- Exhibition History
Multiple Strategies: Beuys, Maciunas, Fluxus, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 02/24/2007 - 06/10/2007
32Q: 1100 60’s Experiment, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/07/2015 - 04/06/2016
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com