- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
John Singer Sargent, American (Florence, Italy 1856 - 1925 London, England)
- Sketchbook ("1869"): Travel Sketches and Copies after the Antique
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Sketchbook with black paper-bound cardboard covers and black cloth spine
- 15.6 x 24.4 cm (6 1/8 x 9 5/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- label: front of album, black ink on paper: 1869
- inscription: front pastedown, graphite, in artist's hand: Tyrolian [sic] Costume / Botzen / May 29th 1869; Proportions.
- To the artist's sisters, Violet (Mrs. Francis) Ormond and Emily Sargent, at his death, 1925; gift of Mrs. Ormond to the Fogg Art Museum, 1937.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mrs. Francis Ormond
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Per Karen Nipps of Houghton Library: Sketchbook with black-paper-covered cardboard covers, black cloth spine; stamped in gilt on front cover: ALBUM. Pages of off-white wove paper. Sewn page block; gatherings vary. Sketchbook is incomplete, with sixty-five pages remaining. Eighty-eight drawings.
A number of pages are missing: one after p. 16, and approximately 8 after p. 17.
- Publication History
John Singer Sargent and the Edwardian Age: The Documents, exh. cat., Detroit Institute of Arts (Detroit, MI, 1979), no. IE
Miriam Stewart and Kerry Schauber, "Catalogue of Sketchbooks and Albums by John Singer Sargent at the Fogg Art Museum", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin (Cambridge, MA, Fall 1999 - Winter 2000), vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 16-38, p. 17; front pastedown, repr. p. 17
Stephanie Herdrich and Helen Barbara Weinberg, American Drawings and Watercolors in the Metropolitan Museum of Art: John Singer Sargent, The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY, 2000), p. 48, under no. 8; p. 49, under no. 9
Bruce Robertson, ed., Sargent and Italy, exh. cat., Los Angeles County Museum of Art/Princeton University Press (Los Angeles, CA and Princeton, NJ, 2002), p. 100
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: Figures and Landscapes, 1900-1907, Yale University Press (U.S.) (New Haven and London, 2012), p. 208 (note 2)
- Exhibition History
John Singer Sargent and the Edwardian Age: The Documents, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, 10/17/1979 - 12/09/1979
Sargent in the Studio: Drawings, Sketchbooks, and Oil Sketches, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/10/1999 - 09/26/1999
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org