- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Washington Allston, American (Georgetown, SC 1779 - 1843 Cambridge, MA)
- Mensuration: Drawing to Illustrate a Geometry Problem (IV)
- Other Titles
- Former Title: Mensuration: Man Dancing on a Keg; verso: Mensuration: A Building
- Work Type
- c. 1796-1800
Level 3, Room 3500, Special Exhibitions Gallery
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink on ivory laid paper
- 23.7 x 18.8 cm (9 5/16 x 7 3/8 in.)
- To the artist's wife Martha Dana Allston at his death, 1843; to the Washington Allston Trust, 1862.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Loan from The Washington Allston Trust
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Dana, "Allston at Harvard 1796 to 1800", Cambridge Historical Society. Publications, Proceedings for the Year 1943 (Cambridge, MA, 1948), vol. 29, ill. p.
Thomas W. Leavitt, "Washington Allston at Harvard", Harvard Alumni Bulletin (Cambridge, MA, April 21, 1956), vol. 58, no. 13, p. 551
Kenyon Castle Bolton, III, "The Drawings of Washington Allston: A Catalogue Raisonné" (Ph.D. Diss., Harvard University, 1977), no. 215A, reproduced in b/w fig. 537; verso, no. 215B, fig. 538
William H. Gerdts and Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., "A Man of Genius": The Art of Washington Allston (1779-1843), exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, MA, 1979), p. 202, cat. 71, ill.
- Exhibition History
"A Man of Genius": The Art of Washington Allston (1779-1843), Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Boston, 12/12/1979 - 02/03/1980; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 02/28/1980 - 04/27/1980
The Philosophy Chamber: Art and Science in Harvard’s Teaching Cabinet, 1766–1820, The Hunterian Art Gallery, 03/23/2018 - 06/24/2018
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org