- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 90.8 x 71.1 cm (35 3/4 x 28 in.)
framed: 121.9 x 101.6 x 10.2 cm (48 x 40 x 4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- plaque: THOMAS PALMER, 1743-1820/ Classical Scholar and Benefactor of the Library/ By Gilbert Stuart Newton
- Bequest of the sitter to Harvard University, 1820.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Bequest of Thomas Palmer to Harvard University, 1820
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
William Garrott Brown, A List of Portraits in the Various Buildings of Harvard University, Harvard University Library (Cambridge, MA, 1898), p. 33
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), pp. 104-105
Historical Records Survey, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Works Progress Administration, American Portraits, 1620-1825, found in Massachusetts, Volumes 1 and 2, Historical Records Survey (Boston, MA, 1939), p. 298, cat. 1587
John Langdon Sibley, Biographical Sketches of Graduates of Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1970), vol. 15, p. 91
Dorinda Evans, Benjamin West and his American Pupils, exh. cat., National Collection of Fine Arts (Washington, D.C, 1980), ill.
M. A. Huub Everaert, "Een zoektocht naar de aard van man-vrouw relaties onder Surinaamse slaven" (1999), Universiteit van Amsterdam, p. 92, ill.
Dorinda Evans, Gilbert Stuart and the Impact of Manic Depression, Ashgate Publishing (Surrey, England, 2013), pp. xiii, 154, fig. 75
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 24, 357, cat. 322, ill.
- Exhibition History
Benjamin West and his American Students, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, 10/16/1980 - 01/04/1981; Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Philadelphia, 01/30/1981 - 04/19/1981
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org