- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 101.6 x 76.2 cm (40 x 30 in.)
framed: 128 x 102.6 x 8.3 cm (50 3/8 x 40 3/8 x 3 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- label: AMY LOWELL 1874-1925/ SARAH G. PUTNAM
- Commissioned by Mr. and Mrs. Augustus Lowell (parents of Amy Lowell); to Amy Lowell; to Mrs. Harold (Ada Dwyer) Russell, 1925; her gift to Harvard University for the use of Lowell House, 1933.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Mrs. Harold Russell to Harvard University for the use of Lowell House, 1933
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Laura M. Huntsinger, Harvard Portraits: A Catalogue of Portrait Paintings at Harvard University, ed. Alan Burroughs, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1936), p. 91
Massachusetts Historical Society, "Striking in its Promise: The Artistic Career of Sarah Gooll Putnam", Massachusetts Historical Review (Boston, 2001), 3, pp. 89-115, pl. 1
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard Art Museums and Yale University Press (U.S.) (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 272, cat. 284, ill.
Diana L. Eck, Hanging Around Lowell House: The Portraits of Lowell House, brochure (Cambridge, MA, 2012), p. 8, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 317
- Exhibition History
Portrait Exhibition, Arts Club of Chicago, Chicago, 11/15/1975 - 01/10/1976
Centennial Celebration, Harvard Club of New York City, New York, 11/01/1994 - 01/31/1995
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org