- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
(?) Annibale Carracci, Italian (Bologna, Italy 1560 - 1609 Rome, Italy)
Possibly attributable to Pietro Faccini, Italian (Bologna, Italy 1562 - 1602 Bologna, Italy)
- The Judgment of Paris
- Work Type
- 16th-17th century
- Creation Place: Europe, Italy, Emilia, Bologna
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown, blue, pink, and yellow washes over red chalk, squared in black chalk on tan antique laid paper, backed with cloth, itself laid down
- actual: 39.5 x 46 cm (15 9/16 x 18 1/8 in.)
- Charles A. Loeser, Florence, Italy, Bequest to Fogg Art Museum, 1932.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Charles A. Loeser
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1940), vol. 1, cat. no. 80, p. 60, as late follower of Correggio
La Pittura del Seicento a Venezia: catalogo della mostra, exh. cat., Edizioni Alfieri (Venice, Italy, 1959), cat. no. 32, repr. (as Johan Liss)
Frederick Cummings and Rudolf Wittkower, Art in Italy, 1600-1700, exh. cat., Detroit Institute of Arts/Harry N. Abrams, Inc. (Detroit, MI and New York, NY, 1965), cat. no. 195, p. 170, repr.
Konrad Oberhuber, ed., Old Master Drawings: Selections from the Charles A. Loeser Bequest, Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1979), cat. no. 27, pp. 66-67, and p. 9, repr.
Agnes Mongan, Konrad Oberhuber, and Jonathan Bober, The Famous Italian Drawings at the Fogg Art Museum in Cambridge, Silvana Editoriale (Milan, Italy, 1988), cat. no. 51, n.p., and pp. 13, 44 and 54, repr. (color)
Emilio Negro and Nicosetta Roio, Pietro Faccini 1575/76 - 1602, Artioli Editore (Modena, 1997), pp. 54-56, 71 note 28, fig. 102 color reprod.
Carlo Francini, "L'inventario della collezione Loeser alla Villa Gattaia", Bollettino della Società di Studi Fiorentini (2000), no. 6, p. 122 ("Cartella A")
Babette Bohn, Ludovico Carracci and the Art of Drawing, Harvey Miller (Turnhout, Belgium, 2004), cat. no. R6, p. 520, repr. as Pietro Faccini (?)
Aidan Weston-Lewis, "Francesco Albani disegnatore: Some Additions and Clarifications", Master Drawings (Autumn 2006), XLIV, no. 3, pp. 299-332, pp. 305, 328 (note 33) (as Faccini)
Aidan Weston-Lewis, "The Annibale Carracci Exhibition in Bologna and Rome", The Burlington Magazine (April 2007), CXLIX, pp. 256-260, p. 259 and note 16 (as Faccini)
- Exhibition History
La pittura del Seicento a Venezia, Ca' Pesaro, Venice, 06/27/1959 - 10/25/1959
Art in Italy, 1600-1700, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, 04/06/1965 - 05/09/1965
Bolognese Drawings in North American Collections, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 09/11/1981 - 11/08/1981
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com