- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Watercolor, gouache, and graphite on off-white wove paper
- 44.7 x 31.2 cm (17 5/8 x 12 5/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: lower right, watercolor: Gve Doré / Londres 1880
- Purchased by Martin Birnbaum in Paris, 1936, for Grenville L. Winthrop, (1936-1943), bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
The drawing was purchased by Martin Birnbaum for Grenville L. Winthrop in Paris in 1936 together with 1943.818.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Robert Rosenblum and Lisa Small, Fantasy and Faith: The Art of Gustave Doré, ed. Eric M. Zafran, Yale University Press and Dahesh Museum of Art (New York and New Haven, 2007), p. 179 (in checklist of Gustave Doré works in North American Collections, Fogg Art Museum), repr. p. 179 as fig. 225
Ewa Lajer-Burcharth and Elizabeth M. Rudy, ed., Drawing: The Invention of a Modern Medium, exh. cat., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, 2017), pp. 229, 287, repr. p. 230 as fig. 4
- Exhibition History
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com