- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Claude Monet, French (Paris, France 1840 - 1926 Giverny, France)
- Two Men Fishing
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Black crayon and scratchwork on paper coated with gesso and incised with fine vertical lines for reproduction by "gillotage"
- 25.6 x 34.5 cm (10 1/16 x 13 9/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l., black crayon: Claude Monet
- inscription: verso, left edge, graphite: 32502
- inscription: verso, center, graphite: 44-36
- inscription: verso, top, graphite: [obscured by hinges]
- From catalogue card: Coll: Terracin; David-Weill. sold in Paris, Hotel Drouot, 1911.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Meta and Paul J. Sachs
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Agnes Mongan, ed., One Hundred Master Drawings, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1949), p. 182, repr.
Paul J. Sachs, Modern Prints and Drawings, Alfred A. Knopf, Inc. (New York, NY, 1954), pl. 16
Claude Monet: A Loan Exhibtion, exh. cat., City Art Museum of St. Louis (St. Louis, MO, 1957), cat. no. 102, repr.
Ira Moskowitz and Maurice Sérullaz, Drawings of the Masters: French Impressionists, Shorewood Publishers Inc. (New York, NY, 1962), pl. 81
Agnes Mongan, Great Drawings of All Time, ed. Ira Moskowitz and Victoria Thorson, Shorewood Publishers Inc. (New York, 1962), cat. no. 797, n.p., repr.
Kenneth J. Procter, "Surf and Turf", Drawing (American Artist) (Winter 2007), pp. 72-87, p. 78, repr. p. 79
James A. Ganz and Richard Kendall, The Unknown Monet: Pastels and Drawings, exh. cat., Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute/Yale University Press (Williamstown, MA, 2007), pp. 195, 199, 200, 301, fig. 193
Ewa Lajer-Burcharth and Elizabeth M. Rudy, ed., Drawing: The Invention of a Modern Medium, exh. cat., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, 2017), pp. 58, 250, repr. p. 251 as fig. 4
- Exhibition History
Drawings from the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University (Collected by Paul J. Sachs), Century Club, New York, 05/12/1947 - 09/25/1947
French Drawings: Masterpieces from Seven Centuries, The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 10/13/1955 - 11/27/1955; Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Minneapolis, 12/02/1955 - 12/29/1955; Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, 01/07/1956 - 02/11/1956; California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 03/07/1956 - 04/10/1956
Claude Monet, City Art Museum of St. Louis, St. Louis, 09/25/1957 - 10/22/1957; Society of Fine Arts, Minneapolis, 11/01/1957 - 12/01/1957
The Unknown Monet: Pastels and Drawings, Royal Academy of Arts, London, 03/17/2007 - 06/10/2007; Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, 06/24/2007 - 09/16/2007
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com