- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn, Dutch (Leiden 1606 - 1669 Amsterdam)
- Jan Lutma, Goldsmith
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: Jan Lutma the elder, Goldsmith
- Work Type
- Creation Place: Europe, Netherlands
- Physical Descriptions
- Etching and drypoint on white antique laid paper
- Etching and drypoint
- plate: 19.7 × 14.8 cm (7 3/4 × 5 13/16 in.)
sheet: 20 × 15.1 cm (7 7/8 × 5 15/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: in plate, upper center in upper left window pane: Rembrandt / f. 1656.
- inscription: right center etched in plate: Joannes Lutma Aurifecx/Natus Groningre
- collector's mark: verso, faded purple stamp with graphite numbering within: [Gray Collection accessionstamp (Lugt 4836)] 3280
- inscription: verso, various graphite inscriptions: Prince Paar / -276 / 2nd epr-
- watermark: Foolscap [illegible but listed in Hinterding v. 2, p. 318, as "foolscap variant" ZZ.zz., meaning that he had not seen it.]
- collector's mark: verso, brown ink: P. mariette 1699 [Pierre II Mariette (Lugt 1789)]
- collector's mark: verso, black stamp: PAAR [surmounted by a crown; Karl de Paar (Lugt 2009)]
- inscription: verso, graphite: E. H. G. [Edward Hale Greenleaf, late 19th-c. Gray Collection inventory]
- Pierre Mariette.
Prince de Paar.
Francis Calley Gray, bequest to nephew, 1856.
William Gray, gift to Harvard University, 1857.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- New Hollstein 293, Bartsch 276, Hind 290, Rovinski 276
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of William Gray from the collection of Francis Calley Gray
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Exhibition History
Lifeworld: Portrait and Landscape in Netherlandish Prints, 1550-1650, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/30/1999 - 01/23/2000
Ancient to Modern, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/31/2012 - 06/01/2013
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org