- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Manufactured by Wedgwood, British (founded 1759 )
After James Tassie, British, English (Pollokshaws, Scotland 1735 - 1799 London, England)
- The Dipping of Achilles
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: The Immortalization of Achilles
- Medals and Medallions
- Work Type
- late 18th century
- Creation Place: Europe, United Kingdom, England, Etruria
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- White jasperware body with blue glaze back and front surmounted by green jasperware border; figures and decoration in white relief
- 6.6 cm diam. x 0.3 cm depth (2 5/8 x 1/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- manufacturer's mark: verso, impressed: WEDGWOOD / H
- inscription: verso, graphite, handwritten: 12876
- inscription: verso, graphite, handwritten: ?
- Anthony Bower, Liverpool, England. [Frederick Rathbone, London], sold; to Grenville Lindall Winthrop, New York, NY, July 25, 1913, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Old Wedgwood from the Bequest of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1944), no. 23, p. 17
Jonathan Shaw and Jennifer Carling, "The Lost Museum: Teachings of the Philosophy Chamber, Recreated", Harvard Magazine (Cambridge, MA, 2017), pp. 42-49, p. 45
Ethan Lasser, ed., The Philosophy Chamber: Art and Science in Harvard’s Teaching Cabinet, 1766–1820, exh. cat., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2017), p. 107, Plate 43b; p. 127, Plate 63 (contents of cabinet); p. 140 (detail); pp. 152-157 in Jennifer L. Roberts's "Submergence"
- Exhibition History
Old Wedgwood from the Bequest of Grenville Lindall Winthrop, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 06/04/1944 - 09/03/1944
32Q: 2220 18th-19th Century, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/19/2015 - 05/05/2016
- Related Articles
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org