- Gallery Text
Paintings of their towns and native landscape appealed to Dutch collectors’ pride in the beauty and accomplishments of their country. Jan van der Heyden’s pristine views of orderly urban squares and modern residential districts express admiration for cities that were both the foundation and product of the republic’s prosperity. Here a late afternoon sun casts long shadows on the cobblestones of the Dam. The Damrak, the waterway that linked the Dam to Amsterdam’s harbor, terminates at the far left, near the main fish market. The vantage point is an uncommon one. Most artists preferred the view from the opposite side of the plaza, which encompassed the New Church, the Weigh House, and the magnificent Town Hall. These iconic buildings, as well as the Stock Exchange and commercial banks — Amsterdam’s civic hub and the epicenter of European finance — were out of sight here but only steps away.
- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Jan van der Heyden, Dutch (Gorkum 1637 - 1712 Amsterdam)
Figures by Adriaen van de Velde, Dutch (Amsterdam, Netherlands 1636 - 1672 Amsterdam, Netherlands)
Previously attributed to Gerrit Adriaensz Berckheyde, Dutch (Haarlem 1638 - 1698 Haarlem)
- The Dam and Damrak, Amsterdam
- Work Type
- c. 1663
- Creation Place: Europe, Netherlands
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 61.9 x 71.1 cm (24 3/8 x 28 in.)
frame: 77.5 x 86.4 x 6.4 cm (30 1/2 x 34 x 2 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: Signed on a sack to left with initials of A. van de Velde?
- Willem Lormier, 1754, The Hague, sold [through his sale, The Hague, July 4, 1763, lot 137]; to Balden. Collection Etienne François Choiseul-Stainville, Duc de Choiseul et Ambroise (1719-1785), Paris, sold [through J.F. Boileau, Paris, April 6-10, 1772, lot 74 as “Van der Heiden”]; to [J.F. Bolieau], sold (?); to Dubois de Courval, sold [through Folliot, Delalande, Fournier, May 11, 1789, lot. No. 10 as Jean Vander Heyden]. Aleksander Andreyevich, Prince Bezborodko (1747 – 1799), Saint Petersburg 1783 (?), by descent; to his brother, 1800, by descent; to Countess Liubov Il'inichna Kusheleva (née Bezborodko) (1783-1809), the daughter of Prince Bezborodko, by descent; to Grigorii (1801-1855), her son as part of Collection Georg, Count Kushelev-Bezborodko, sold [through Durand-Ruel, Paris, June 5, 1869 lot 4, as by Gérard Berkeyden]. Collection Edwards, sold [through Hôtel Drouot, Paris, May 25, 1905, lot 2, as “Un Quai à Amsterdam” by Gérard Berkheyden (Lugt 63248)], to Féral. [Julius Böehler, Munich, through James Loeb] , sold; to Paul Moritz Warburg (1868-1932), New York, NY, October 1909, by descent; to his son, James P. Warburg (1896-1969); to Mr. and Mrs. Samuel B. Grimson (née Bettina Warburg, sister of James P. Warburg), gift; to Fogg Art Musum, 1968.
 James Loeb is a relative of Paul M. Warburg’s wife, Nina J. Loeb.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel B. Grimson
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Catalogus van een groot en uytmuntent cabinet Schilderyen, der voornaamste Italiaansche, Fransche, Engelsche, Hoogduytsche en Nederlandsche Meesters., auct. cat. (The Hague, July 4 1763), p. 17, lot 136
Gerard Hoet, Catalogues of naamlyst van schilderyen, met derzelver prysen (The Hague, 1770), p. 322, no. 138
Catalogue des Tableaux qui Composent le Cabinet de Monseigneur le Duc de Choiseul, auct. cat. (Paris, April 6 1772), pp. 25 - 26, lot 74
Catalogue de Tableaux des Trois Écoles; Miniatures, Gouaches, Estampes encadrées & en Recueils, Marbres, Bronzes, Porcelaines diverses, Armes, Bijoux, & autres Objets curieux, Qui composoient le Cabinet de seu M. Dubois de Courval, auct. cat. (Paris, May 11 1789), p. 7, lot 10
Catalogue de 43 Tableaux de Maitres Anciens provenant de la collection de M. le Comte Koucheleff Besborodko, auct. cat. (Paris, June 5 1869), pp. ix + 6-8, lot 4
Galerie Georges Petit, Cent Chefs-d'Oeuvre des École Françaises et Étrangéres, exh. cat. (Paris, June 1892), p. 51, cat. no. 47
Catalogue de Tableaux Anciens et Modernes: Oeuvres remarquables de Berkheyden, Chardin, L. Cranach...Composant la Collection de M. Edwards, auct. cat., Hôtel Drouot (Paris, May 25, 1905), pp. 4-6, repr. p. 6
C. G. 't Hooft, Amsterdamsche Stadsgezichten: van Jan van der Heyden, Ten Brink & De Vries (Amsterdam, 1912), repr.
Cornelis Hofstede de Groot, A Catalogue Raisonné of the Works of the Most Eminent Dutch Painters of the Seventeenth Century, Macmillan and Co. (London, 1927), pp. 340-341, no. 37
Peter C. Sutton, A Guide to Dutch Art in America, Netherlands-American Amity Trust and Eerdmans (Washington, D.C., 1986), p. 40, repr., fig. 52
Kristin A. Mortimer and William G. Klingelhofer, Harvard University Art Museums: A Guide to the Collections, Harvard University Art Museums and Abbeville Press (Cambridge and New York, 1986), no. 193, p. 169, repr.
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990)
Ben Broos, Great Dutch Paintings from America, exh. cat., Waanders Publishers and Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis (Zwolle, 1990), pp. 273-279, cat. no 30, repr. p. 274.
Peter C. Sutton and Yale University Press, Jan van der Heyden (1637-1712), exh. cat. (New Haven and London, 2006), p. 45-46, fig. 30
S. Groenveld, H. L. Ph. Leeuwenberg, M.E.H.N. Mout, and W. M. Zappey, De Tachtigjarige Oorlog: Opstand en Consolidatie in de Nederlanden (ca. 1560-1650), Walburg Press (Zutphen, 2008), p. 333, repr.
Oliver A. Rink, "Seafarers and Businessmen: The Growth of Dutch Commerce in the Lower Hudson River Valley", Dutch New York: The Roots of Hudson Valley Culture, ed. Roger Panetta, Hudson River Museum (Yonkers, NY, 2009), pp. 7-34, repr. p. 12
- Exhibition History
Cent Chefs-d'Oeuvre des Écoles Françaises et Étrangères (deuxième exposition), Galerie Georges Petit, 01/01/1892 - 01/01/1892
Great Dutch Paintings in America, Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis, 09/27/1990 - 01/15/1991; Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, 02/17/1991 - 05/05/1991
Perceptions of Space, Davis Museum at Wellesley College, Wellesley, 12/01/2011 - 05/19/2013
32Q: 2300 Dutch & Flemish, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/01/2014 - 09/08/2017
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org