- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Imitation after Jean-François Millet, French (Gruchy 1814 - 1875 Barbizon)
- The Laundress
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: La Lessiveuse / Woman Making Lye
- Work Type
- 19th century
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on panel
- 38.1 x 27.62 cm (15 x 10 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: l.l. in brown paint: J. F. Millet
- inscription: on back of panel, in black ink: CA3227
- label: on back of panel, printed in blue: 1530
- label: on back of panel, printed: [in black:] R; [in red:] 51
- label: on back of panel, printed and handwritten: [printed:] T. Gilbert Brouillette / Paintings / Dealer-Consultant-Research / Gilsport Mann, 45 Maryland Ave. - Staten Island New York / La Lessiveuse / by / Jean François Millet / 1814-1875 / on panel: 15 x 11 inches. / [handwritten in black felt-tip:] CA9406
- label: on back of panel, handwritten in black, partly torn away: La Lessiveuse / "Woman Making Lye" / original [ ] / J. F. M[ ]
- inscription: on back of frame, in black felt-tip: CA9406 [crossed out]
- inscription: on back of frame, in black felt-tip: NYN-716
- inscription: on back of frame, in blue ballpoint pen: 4-25
- inscription: on back of panel, in black ink: La Levisseuse / J. F. Millet
- inscription: on back of panel, in graphite: C-6995
- inscription: on back of panel, in white paint: M-A-5657-B
- label: on back of frame, printed in red: 1716 [crossed out in graphite]
- inscription: on back of frame, in graphite: Bin C-43
- inscription: on back of frame, in white paint: M-A-5657-B
- Seth Morton Vose, Boston, Purchased in France through Thomas Robinson, 1873.
James G. Shepherd, Scranton PA, Given in trade, 1909.
George H. Webster, Purchased, 1920.
Mr. Gilbert Brouillette, Falmouth MA, 1959, Sold to Mr. Maury Moss.
Maury Moss, Purchased from Gilbert Brouillette, Gift to Chrysler Museum, 1975.
Chrysler Museum at Norfolk, Gift of Maury Moss, 1975, Traded to Mr. Richard L. LaPere.
Richard L. LaPere, Washington DC, Received in trade from Richard L. LePere, Sold to Hammer Galleries, 1979. Sold at Sloans [Washington DC Auction House], Fall 1979.
Hammer Galleries, New York NY, Purchased at Sloans auction, Wash. DC, 1979, Returned to Sloans, 1979.
Vose Galleries of Boston, Inc., Boston, MA, Returned from Sloan [Washington DC auction house, 1979, Gift to Fogg Art Museum, 1979.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Vose Galleries of Boston, Inc.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Edgar Peters Bowron, European Paintings Before 1900 in the Fogg Art Museum: A Summary Catalogue including Paintings in the Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1990), p. 120
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com