- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Black opaque watercolor, brushed and spattered on cream wove paper
- 47.5 x 43.9 cm (18 11/16 x 17 5/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: recto, lower right, red paint: Mack
- inscription: rector, lower right, in red paint: Mack
- inscription: verso, upper right, in red paint: No 16
label: verso, lower right:
Museum of Modern Art
recto, lower left, in typewritten black ink:
Untersuchung einer unvermittelt und
einer chromatisch über Grau entwickel-
ten linearen Bewegung- in Bezug auf
Bewegungsintentität, auf die räumliche
Dimension und auf die Verschiedenar-
tigkeit des Dunkelkeitscharakters.
Experiment with movements of black on white and black tones through grey to white
showing three illusions:
1) different speed of movement
2) flat and three dimensional [sic] effects
3) different intensities of black.
The same black is used through out.
Experiment in linear motion, one unmixed and
one chromatic through grey,
—in relation to
the movement intensity, to the spatial
dimension and to the var-
iety of the character of darkness.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Busch-Reisinger Museum, Association Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Photomechanical print on the verso (not by the artist)
- Exhibition History
Bauhaus Art and Design, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 06/07/1982 - 10/30/1982
- Subjects and Contexts
This record was created from historic documentation and may not have been reviewed by a curator; it may be inaccurate or incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com