- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Lyonel Feininger, American (New York, NY 1871 - 1956 New York, NY)
- Preliminary design for the Program of the State Bauhaus in Weimar
- Other Titles
- Original Language Title: Programm des Staatlichen Bauhauses in Weimar
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Woodcut with letterpress on brown paper
- Woodcut and letterpress
- 31.9 x 39.4 cm (12 9/16 x 15 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: lower margin in black ink: Lyonel Feininger
- (not assigned): l.r. in black ink: I. Fassung d. Titels // seltener Probedruk // vielmals verwendet
- (not assigned): signed lower margin, in black ink: Lyonel Feininger
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- Prasse W 144
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Busch-Reisinger Museum, Gift of Julia Feininger
- © Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Title page of the four-page announcement, "Programm des Staatlichen Bauhauses in Weimar," April 1919.
- Publication History
Kristin A. Mortimer and William G. Klingelhofer, Harvard University Art Museums: A Guide to the Collections, Harvard University Art Museums and Abbeville Press (Cambridge and New York, 1986), no. 391, p. 327, repr.
Peter Nisbet and Emilie Norris, Busch-Reisinger Museum: History and Holdings, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1991), p. 86, ill.
Peter Nisbet and Joseph Koerner, The Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University Art Museums, ed. Peter Nisbet, Harvard University Art Museums and Scala Publishers Ltd. (Cambridge, MA and London, England, 2007), p. 141 (cover)
Leah Dickerman and Barry Bergdoll, Bauhaus 1919-1933: Workshops for Modernity, exh. cat., ed. David Frankel, Museum of Modern Art, New York (New York, 2009), cat. no. 41, p. 67, color repr.
- Exhibition History
From Werkbund to Bauhaus: Art and Design in Germany 1900-1934, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 05/12/1980 - 04/26/1980
Cubism: Explorations and Adaptations, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 09/18/1982 - 10/26/1982
Bauhaus Modern, Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, 09/26/2008 - 12/17/2008
Bauhaus 1919-1933: Workshops for Modernity, Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York, 11/08/2009 - 01/25/2010
The Bauhaus and Harvard, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 02/08/2019 - 07/28/2019
- Subjects and Contexts
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com