- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
- Sultan Murad III (r. 1574-1595) in his Library (painting, recto; text, verso) illustrated folio from a manuscript of the Javahir al Gharaib Tarjomat Bahr al-Aja'ib (Gems of Marvels: A Translation of the Sea of Wonders) of Jennabi(Cennabi)
- Work Type
- manuscript folio
- Creation Place: Middle East, Turkey
- Ottoman period
- Physical Descriptions
- Opaque watercolor, gold and silver on paper
- 27 x 17.5 cm (10 5/8 x 6 7/8 in.)
- Jean Pozzi, Paris (before 1967), his sale; [Vente Pozzi, Palais Galliera, Paris, 5 December 1970, lot 114] sold; to Edwin Binney, 3rd, 1970, bequest; to Harvard University Art Museums, 1985.
Edwin Binney, "Turkish Treasures From the Collection of Edwin Binney, 3rd", Portland Museum of Art, Portland Oregon, 1979, p.33-40
Jean Pozzi (1884-1967), the French Ambassador to Constantinople in the 1930s.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, The Edwin Binney, 3rd Collection of Turkish Art at the Harvard Art Museums
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Edwin Binney III, Turkish Treasures from the Collection of Edwin Binney, 3rd, exh. cat., Portland Art Museum (Portland, OR, 1979), page 34-36/figure 17 fol. 217r
Katherine E. Bliss, East Meets West, Harvard Crimson (April 7, 1989), Vol. CXC, No. 49
Rarely Seen Ottoman World On View at Sackler Museum, Harvard University Gazette (March 31, 1989), Vol. LXXXIV, No. 30, pp. 1, 10, p. 10, ill.
- Exhibition History
The Ottoman Empire: A Culture and Its Impact, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 03/25/1989 - 05/21/1989
The Ottomans and their Contemporaries, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 03/21/1992 - 05/17/1992
Shadows of God On Earth: Arts of the Ottoman, Safavid, and Mughal Dynasties, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/21/1997 - 08/31/1997
A Grand Legacy: Arts of the Ottoman Empire, Harvard University Art Museums, Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 10/09/1999 - 01/02/2000
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at firstname.lastname@example.org