- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Simon de Vlieger, Dutch (Rotterdam 1600/1601 - 1653 Weesp)
- View of Weesp
- Work Type
- c. 1649-1653
- Physical Descriptions
- Black chalk, gray wash, some incised lines in lower half of added strip at right, on off-white antique laid paper
- 39.3 x 67.9 cm (15 1/2 x 26 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: verso, lower left, brown ink: 1280
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: Simon de Vlieger
Arms of Bern; related to Lindt 98–101 (House of Beyer Halbysen or Jeronimus Halbysen, possibly the mill “La Mothe” near Yverdon, canton of Vaud, 1550–73)
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: 19
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: PTRgn.
- collector's mark: verso, lower left, blue ink: L. 3306 (Maida and George Abrams)
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: 139203
- [Sotheby Mak van Waay, Amsterdam, 18 November 1985, lot 127, repr.] sold; to Maida and George Abrams, Boston (L. 3306, verso, lower left); The Maida and George Abrams Collection, inv. no. 2008.250.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- The Maida and George Abrams Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Frederik J. Duparc, Landscape in Perspective: Drawings by Rembrandt and his Contemporaries, exh. cat., The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Montreal, 1988), cat. no. 99, p. 225, repr.
William W. Robinson, Seventeenth-Century Dutch Drawings: A Selection from the Maida and George Abrams Collection, exh. cat., H. O. Zimman, Inc. (Lynn, MA, 1991), cat. no. 37, pp. 92-93, repr.
George S. Keyes, "[Review] Seventeenth-Century Dutch Drawings. A Selection from the Maida and George Abrams Collection", Master Drawings (Winter 1992), vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 443-448, pp. 447-8
Ben Broos and Marijn Schapelhouman, Oude tekeningen in het bezit van het Amsterdams Historisch Museum, waaronder de collectie Fodor. Nederlandse Tekenaars geboren tussen 1600 en 1660, Amsterdams Historisch Museum and Waanders Uitgevers (Amsterdam and Zwolle, 1993), under cat. no. 170, p. 217 (n. 9)
George S. Keyes, "Vlieger, Simon de", The Dictionary of Art, ed. Jane Turner, Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc. (London, 1996), vol. 32, pp. 671-73, p. 673
William W. Robinson, Bruegel to Rembrandt: Dutch and Flemish Drawings from the Maida and George Abrams Collection, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2002), cat. no. 68, pp. 162-63, 263, and 280, repr.
Michiel C. Plomp, "[Review] Bruegel to Rembrandt. Dutch and Flemish Drawings from the Maida and George Abrams Collection.", Oud Holland (2004), vol. 117, no. 1/2, pp. 99-102, p. 101 (n. 3)
Ida Kemperman-Wilke and Aukje Zondergeld-Hamer, Weesp, 650 jaar stad, Enter Weesp bv (Weesp, 2005), pp. 32-33, repr.
Friso Lammertse and Jaap Van Der Veen, Uylenburgh & Son: Art and Commerce from Rembrandt to De Lairesse 1625-1675, exh. cat., Waanders Uitgevers and The Rembrandt House Museum (Zwolle, The Netherlands, 2006), repr. p. 39, fig. 18
William W. Robinson and Susan Anderson, Drawings from the Age of Bruegel, Rubens, and Rembrandt: Highlights from the Collection of the Harvard Art Museums, Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2016), p. 20; cat. no. 94, pp. 309-311, repr. p. 310 (foldout); watermark p. 382
- Exhibition History
Landscape in Perspective: Drawings by Rembrandt and his Contemporaries, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 02/20/1988 - 04/03/1988; The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Montreal, 04/15/1988 - 05/29/1988
Seventeenth-Century Dutch Drawings: A Selection from the Maida and George Abrams Collection, Rijksprentenkabinet, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 02/23/1991 - 04/18/1991; Albertina Gallery, Vienna, 05/16/1991 - 06/30/1991; Pierpont Morgan Library, New York, 01/22/1992 - 04/22/1992; Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/10/1992 - 12/06/1992
Bruegel to Rembrandt: Dutch and Flemish Drawings from the Maida and George Abrams Collection, British Museum, London, 06/13/2002 - 09/22/2002; Institut Néerlandais, Paris, 10/10/2002 - 12/08/2002; Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 03/22/2003 - 07/06/2003
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org