- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Pierre Bonnard, French (Fontenay-aux-Roses, France 1867 - 1947 Cannet, France)
- Street Scene, Evening
- Work Type
- c. 1897
- Physical Descriptions
- Black ink, watercolor, and black crayon on off-white wove paper, framing line in graphite
- 20 x 25 cm (7 7/8 x 9 13/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: graphite, l.r.: B
- gallery label: M. KNOEDLER & CO., INC. / 14 EAST 57TH STREET / NEW YORK, N.Y. / P [in graphite:] WCA 1109 [printed:] F [in graphite:] 90328 / TITLE [in graphite: Street Scene Evening / by Pierre Bonnard
- inscription: verso, lower left of inner layer, visible against light: N2 or [W2?] in circle
- gallery label: THE NEW GALLERY / 601 MADISON AVENUE NEW YORK / ARTIST: Bonnard DATE: c. 1897 / TITLE: Boulevard STOCK: pur 54 / MEDIUM: watercolor PRICE: exch / SIZE: 7 x 10 ins.
- gallery label: INV. # 906 / ARTIST: Bonnard / TITLE: Street Scene Evening / FRANK PERLS GALLERY / BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA
- gallery label: M. K[noedler] [rest of label destroyed]
- The New Gallery, New York [1954?]. M. Knoedler & Co., New York. Frank Perls Gallery, Beverly Hills. Richard B. Sisson, New York [before 1965]; bequest to Harvard University Art Museums, 2005.
Notes: Provenance based on list in Bowdoin 1965 catalogue and labels from back of frame.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Richard B. Sisson and through the generosity of Anthony and Celeste Meier
- © Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, Paris
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Collecting Privately, exh. cat., Bowdoin College Museum of Art (Brunswick, Maine, 1965), cat. no. 21
Ewa Lajer-Burcharth and Elizabeth M. Rudy, ed., Drawing: The Invention of a Modern Medium, exh. cat., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, 2017), pp. 102-103, 282, repr. p.102 as fig. 5
- Exhibition History
Collecting Privately, Bowdoin College Museum of Art, Brunswick, 07/02/1965 - 09/05/1965
Drawing: The Invention of a Modern Medium, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/21/2017 - 05/07/2017
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org