- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Transparent watercolor, with application of gum, and opaque watercolor over traces of black chalk on cream antqiue laid paper
- 15.5 x 20 cm (6 1/8 x 7 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: Lower left, gray ink: PH fe.
- watermark: crown fragment [see Van Hasselt, Landschaptekening van hollandse meesters uit de XVIIe eeuw, 1968-9, cat. no. 113, p. 186]
- inscription: verso, upper left, brown ink: 64
- inscription: verso, upper left, graphite: P
- inscription: verso, upper left, graphite: D Cox
- inscription: verso, lower right, graphite: 52
- inscription: verso, lower left, graphite: kaep gans
- inscription: verso, upper left, graphite: Kt 137
- [Sotheby's, London, 11 November 1965], sold; to Maida and George Abrams, Boston, 1965; The Maida and George Abrams Colleciton, 1999.153.
NOTE: Abrams is not listed as the buyer for any of the lots. Many Holsteyn birds are in this sale, and none clearly matches ours. The numbers inscribed on the verso of each drawing match the numbers litsed in the catalogue, but our drawing does not match any of them.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- The Maida and George Abrams Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Franklin W. Robinson, Selections from the Collection of Dutch Drawings of Maida and George Abrams, exh. cat., Jewett Arts Center (Wellesley, MA, 1969), cat. 37, p. vii, repr.
- Exhibition History
Selections from the Collection of Dutch Drawings of Maida and George Abrams, Hopkins Center Art Galleries, Hanover, 03/27/1969 - 04/28/1969; Wellesley College Museum of Art, Wellesley, 05/04/1969 - 06/04/1969; Rhode Island School of Design Museum, Providence, 09/17/1969 - 10/12/1969; University of Connecticut Museum of Art, Storrs, 10/18/1969 - 11/16/1969
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com