- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Graphite on parchment, autograph framing line in graphite
- 15.2 × 11 cm (6 × 4 5/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: Lower right, graphite: E.De.Witte
- Possibly Pieter Spiering, Delft and The Hague. Private collection, United Kingdom, sold [private sale, via Sotheby's, London]; to Maida and George Abrams, Boston, 1987 (Lugt 3306, without their mark), gift; to Harvard Art Museums, 1999
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- The Maida and George Abrams Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- This sheet forms part of a seventeenth-century Dutch album, in its original binding, which contains 41 small, full-page drawings on parchment by more than 27 different artists.
- Publication History
William W. Robinson, Seventeenth-Century Dutch Drawings: A Selection from the Maida and George Abrams Collection, exh. cat., H. O. Zimman, Inc. (Lynn, MA, 1991), cat. no. 20, pp. 58-59, repr.
William W. Robinson, "Abrams Dutch Drawings Given to the Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, Mass.", Apollo (December 1999), vol. 150, pp. 14-16, p. 16
Seymour Slive, "Collecting 17th-century Dutch art in the United States: the current boom", Bulletin van het Rijksmuseum (2001), vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 84-99, p. 98 (n. 11)
Walter Liedtke and Michiel C. Plomp, Vermeer and the Delft School, exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, NY, 2001), no. 94d, repr.
William W. Robinson, "The Abrams Album: An 'Album Amicorum' of Dutch Drawings from the Seventeeth Century", Master Drawings (Spring 2015), LIII, no. 1, pp. 3-58, pp. 20, 44, repr. p. 45 as fig. 40, also repr. on back cover
Giovanna Sapori, L'album amicorum come libro di disegni. Alcuni esempi tra Cinquecento e Seicento (Venius, Ortelius, Abrams, Heyblocq), Libri e album di disegni 1550-1800: Nuove prospettive metodologiche e di esegesi storico-critica (Rome, 2018), p. 110, illus. p. 107, fig. 15
- Exhibition History
Seventeenth-Century Dutch Drawings: A Selection from the Maida and George Abrams Collection, Rijksprentenkabinet, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 02/23/1991 - 04/18/1991; Albertina Gallery, Vienna, 05/16/1991 - 06/30/1991; Pierpont Morgan Library, New York, 01/22/1992 - 04/22/1992; Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/10/1992 - 12/06/1992
Vermeer and the Delft School, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 03/05/2001 - 05/27/2001
- Subjects and Contexts
Dutch, Flemish, & Netherlandish Drawings
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com