- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Graphite on off-white paper
- actual: 25.3 x 18.4 cm (9 15/16 x 7 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: graphite, l r.: John S. Sargent / 29 April 1896
- inscription: l.r., graphite, in artist's hand: John S. Sargent/ 29 April 1896/ To Mrs. Maddison
- Mrs. Maddison; purchased by Grenville L. Winthrop through Martin Birnbaum, 1928; his bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- THIS WORK MAY NOT BE LENT BY THE TERMS OF ITS ACQUISITION TO THE HARVARD ART MUSEUMS.
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Copley Society, Catalogue of Paintings and Sketches by John S. Sargent, R. A., exh. cat. (Boston, MA, 1899), p. 23, no. 98 or 99
Alfred Lys Baldry, "The Art of J. S. Sargent, R.A. Part I", The Studio (February 1900), vol. 19, no. 83, pp. 3 21, repr.
Alfred Lys Baldry, "The Art of J.S. Sargent, R.A., Part I", The International Studio (March 1900), X, no. 37, pp. 3-21, repr. p. 7
David McKibbin, Sargent's Boston, exh. cat., Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (Boston, MA, 1956), p. 95, Check List of Sargent's Portraits
[Reproduction only], Complete Works of Gabriel Fauré, Golden Crest Laboratory Series (1961)., CR 4030, reproduced on the cover of the record album
Emile Vuillermoz, Gabriel Fauré, Chilton Book Company (Philadelphia, PA, 1969), repr. frontispiece
Robert Orledge, Gabriel Fauré, Eulenberg Books (London, England, 1979), repr.
James Lomax and Richard Ormond, John Singer Sargent and the Edwardian Age, exh. cat., Leeds Art Gallery (Leeds, England, 1979), p. 74, under cat. 57
Edward J. Nygren, John Singer Sargent: Drawings from the Corcoran Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service (Washington, D.C, 1983), p. 56, under no. 31
Trevor J. Fairbrother, Sargent Portrait Drawings: 42 Works by John Singer Sargent, Dover Publications Inc. (New York, NY, 1983), cat. 10
Pro Arte Chamber Orchestra, Fauré Concert Program, Sanders Theatre, Harvard University, brochure (Cambridge, MA, March 29, 1987), repr. on cover
Jean Michel Nectoux, Gabriel Fauré: A Musical Life, Cambridge University Press (New York, NY, 1991), repr. on book jacket
[Reproduction only], Requiem, Op. 48, J. Hamelle & Cie Editeurs (Paris, 1994)., repr. on cover
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, John Singer Sargent: The Early Portraits, Yale University Press (New Haven, CT and London, England, 1998), under no. 157, pp. 160-161
Richard Ormond and Elaine Kilmurray, Sargent: Portraits of Artists and Friends, exh. cat., National Portrait Gallery (London, 2015), p. 136
- Exhibition History
Sargent Loan Exhibition, Copley Hall, Boston, 02/20/1899 - 03/13/1899
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org