- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Chester Harding, American (Conway, MA 1792 - 1866 Boston, MA)
David Dudley (1787 - 1841)
- David Dudley (1787-1841)
- Work Type
- c. 1836
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Persistent Link
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 76.2 x 63.5 cm (30 x 25 in.)
framed: 95.3 x 82.6 x 8.9 cm (37 1/2 x 32 1/2 x 3 1/2 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- label: on verso: David Dudley born 1786 died 1841. This portrait was painted by the celebrated Harding when he was 44 years old.
- Bequest of Caroline Dudley Taylor, 1988.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Bequest of Caroline Dudley Taylor, 1988
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Dean Dudley, History of the Dudley Family, with Genealogical Tables, Pedigrees, Etc. Number VIII, Dean Dudley (Wakefield, MA, 1893), ill. opp. p. 850
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 244-45, cat. 195, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org