- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on panel
- 36.7 x 26.5 cm (14 7/16 x 10 7/16 in.)
framed: 58.4 x 50.8 x 7 cm (23 x 20 x 2 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l:NEmmons Pinx & Fecit AEtat:24:1728:
- inscription: across bottom: The Reverend Mr. John Lowell
- Rev. John Lowell; by descent to Ralph Lowell; gift of the estate of Ralph Lowell, 1978.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of the Estate of Ralph Lowell, 1978
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Historical Records Survey, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Works Progress Administration, American Portraits, 1620-1825, found in Massachusetts, Volumes 1 and 2, Historical Records Survey (Boston, MA, 1939), p. 251, cat. 1345
Diana L. Eck, Hanging Around Lowell House: The Portraits of Lowell House, brochure (Cambridge, MA, 2012), p. 1, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 194, 461, cat. 147, ill.
Peter Moore, Dialogues in Paint and Print: Mezzotint Portraiture and Intermedial Exchange, ed. Mark Hallett, Nigel Llewellyen, and Martin Myrone, Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art and Yale Center for British Art (New Haven, 2016), pp. 447-449, repr. p. 447, no. 171
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com