- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 74.3 x 61.6 cm (29 1/4 x 24 1/4 in.)
framed: 97.2 x 84.8 x 5.7 cm (38 1/4 x 33 3/8 x 2 1/4 in.)
- Gift of Robert Winthrop, representing the Winthrop family, to Harvard University, 1964
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, Gift of Robert Winthrop, representing the Winthrop family, to Harvard University, 1964
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Lawrence Shaw Mayo, The Winthrop Family in America, Massachusetts Historical Society (Boston, MA, 1948), pp. 94-96
Harvard University, Winthrop Family Portraits at Harvard: John Winthrop House, Harvard University, brochure (Cambridge, MA, April 1956), p. 6
Ruth Piwonka, A Portrait of Livingston Manor, 1686-1850, Friends of Cleremont (Cleremont, NY, 1986), p. 104, ill.
Sarah Kemble Knight, "The Journal of Madam Knight", ed. William L. Andrews, University of Wisconsin Press (Madison, WI, 1990), p. 115, ill.
Allegra di Bonaventura, For Adam's Sake: A Family Saga in New England, Liverright (New York, 2013), n.p, pl. 5
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 494, cat. 458, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com