- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Michel-François Dandré-Bardon, French (Aix-en-Provence 1700 - 1783 Paris)
- Profile Head of an Old Woman
- Work Type
- 18th century
- Physical Descriptions
- Red chalk on cream antique laid paper, laid down on a decorated mount, framing lines in brown ink
- 15.8 x 15.5 cm (6 1/4 x 6 1/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: mount, verso: André Bardon / 160 x 169 mm
- Robert Gilmor, Jr., Baltimore, MD; to his estate, 1848; to probably Gardner L. Chandler, Salem, MA; to John Witt Randall, Boston, MA, bequest; to his sister Belinda L. Randall, 1892, gift; to Harvard University, 1892.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Belinda L. Randall from the collection of John Witt Randall
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- She is seen facing left, leaning slightly forward, a small cap on her hair, her peasant dress loosened at the neck.
- Publication History
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1940), vol. I, cat. no. 602, p. 323
Pierre Rosenberg, French Master Drawings of the 17th & 18th Centuries in North American Collections / Dessins français du 17ème & du 18ème siècles des collections américaines, exh. cat., Secker & Warburg (London, 1972-1973), cat. no. 38, pp. 79, 152, pl. 94, repr.
Pierre Rosenberg, "Dandré-Bardon as a Draughtsman: A Group of Drawings at Stuttgart", Master Drawings, Master Drawings Association (New York, 1974), vol. 12, no. 2, Summer, pp. 137-51, 193-206, p. 140
Daniel Chol, Michel François Dandré-Bardon ou l'apogée de la peinture en Provence au XVIIIe siècle, Édisud (Aix-en-Provence, 1987), cat. no. 147, p. 112, repr.
- Exhibition History
French Master Drawings of the 17th & 18th Centuries in North American Collections, National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 11/03/1972 - 12/17/1972; California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 01/12/1973 - 03/11/1973; New York Cultural Center, New York, 04/04/1973 - 05/13/1973
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com