- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Henri Matisse, French (Cateau-Cambresis, France 1869 - 1954 Nice, France)
- Two Sketches of a Nude Girl Playing a Flute
- Work Type
- c. 1905-1906
- Creation Place: Europe, France
- Physical Descriptions
- Graphite on off-white laid paper
- sight: 34.4 x 21 cm (13 9/16 x 8 1/4 in.)
framed: 54.6 x 39.4 x 2.2 cm (21 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 7/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: graphite, l.r.: Henri Matisse
- Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Kerrigan, New York, New York, gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1928.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Kerrigan
- © Succession H. Matisse / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, 1940), no. 734
Agnes Mongan, Great Drawings of All Time, ed. Ira Moskowitz and Victoria Thorson, Shorewood Publishers Inc. (New York, 1962), cat. no. 851, n.p., repr.
Victor Carlson, Matisse as a Draughtsman, exh. cat., Baltimore Museum of Art / New York Graphic Society (Baltimore / New York, 1971), no. 9, repr.
Matisse-Derain: Collioure 1905, un été fauve, exh. cat., Gallimard (Paris, 2005), fig. 91
Ellen McBreen, Matisse's Sculpture: The Pinup and the Primitive, Yale University Press (New Haven and London, 2014), pp. 31-35, fig. 23, ill.
Henri Matisse: Le laboratoire intérieur, exh. cat., Les Éditions Hazan and Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon (Paris, 2016), p. 72, cat. 24, ill. (color)
- Exhibition History
Matisse as a Draughtsman, Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, 01/01/1971 - 02/28/1971; California Palace of the Legion of Honor, San Francisco, 03/01/1971 - 04/30/1971; The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, 05/01/1971 - 06/30/1971
The Sculpture and Drawings of Henri Matisse, Tate Gallery, London, 10/03/1984 - 01/06/1985
Henri Matisse, le laboratoire intérieur, Musée des Beaux-Arts de Lyon, Lyon, 12/02/2016 - 03/06/2017
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com