- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
- Kabeirion Skyphos depicting Kirke or Penelope at the loom
- Work Type
- 5th century BCE
- Creation Place: Ancient & Byzantine World, Europe, Boeotia
- Classical period
- Physical Descriptions
- Yellowish clay with slip, brown glaze
- actual: 17.3 x 26.9 cm (6 13/16 x 10 9/16 in.)
- [Athens, 1898] sold; to Joseph Clark Hoppin, Pomfret, CT, (1899-1925), bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, Museum, 1925.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Bequest of Joseph C. Hoppin
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- From the Kabeirion, Thebes. Side A: Odysseus and Kirke. On the left a large loom, before which a female figure clad in a chiton is sitting with both hands extended. Facing her to left two men wearing chlamydes and piloi, the first leaning on a staff. Only their heads and shoulders are preserved. Side B: Grape clusters. Below, encircling the entire vase, broad, glazed band intersected by two narrow reserved stripes. Reddish bands on edge of foot and concentric circles underneath. Exterior reserved, interior entirely covered with a reddish brown glaze. Execution hasty and incisions careless.
- Publication History
Joseph Clark Hoppin and Albert Gallatin, Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum, U.S.A.: volume 1, Hoppin and Gallatin Collections, Libraire Ancienne Edouard Champion (Paris, 1926)
George M. A. Hanfmann, Greek Art and Life, An Exhibition Catalogue, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1950), no. 143.
Jean-Marc Moret, Circé Tisseuse Sur Les Vases Du Cabirion, Revue Archeologique (1991), No. 2, pp. 227-266, pp. 256-257, nos. 14-16
Diana M. Buitron, The Odyssey and Ancient Art: An Epic in Word and Image, exh. cat., Blum Art Institute (Annandale-on-Hudson, 1992), pp. 158, 164-16; cat. 56
Karen-Hanne Stærmose Nielsen, Kirkes Væv: Opstadvævens historie og nutidige brug, Historisk-Arkaeologisk Forsogscenter Lejre (Lejre, Denmark, 1999)
Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae (LIMC), Artemis (Zürich, Switzerland, 1999), Vol. 6, Kirke 29.
[Reproduction Only], Persephone, (Spring 2005)., p. 21
- Exhibition History
Greek Art and Life: From the Collections of the Fogg Art Museum, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and Private Lenders, Fogg Art Museum, 03/07/1950 - 04/15/1950
The Odyssey and Ancient Art, Blum Art Institute, New York, 10/06/1991 - 03/01/1992
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Asian and Mediterranean Art at email@example.com