- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Jasper Johns, American (Augusta, GA 1930 -)
- Wilderness I
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Charcoal, graphite wash and graphite with polyester resin moulded hand, string, paintbrush and wooden ruler on off-white wove paper
- sight: 127 x 87.6 x 10.2 cm (50 x 34 1/2 x 4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.r., graphite: J. Johns / 1963
- [Leo Castelli Gallery, New York, New York]. McCrory Corporation, New York, New York, sold at [Christies, New York, New York], 3 May 1994, lot 58; to Werner H. Kramarsky, New York, New York, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 2002.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Sarah-Ann and Werner H. Kramarsky
- © Jasper Johns and ULAE/Licensed by VAGA, New York, NY, Published by ULAE
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
David Shapiro, Jasper Johns Drawings, 1954-1984, Harry N. Abrams, Inc. (New York, NY, 1984), repr. pl. 103, n.p.
Roberta Bernstein, Jasper Johns' Paintings and Sculptures, 1954-1974: "The Changing Focus of the Eye", U.M.I. Research Press (Ann Arbor, MI, 1985), pp.98-99, repr. pl. 42, n.p.
Nan Rosenthal and Ruth E. Fine, The Drawings of Jasper Johns, exh. cat., National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C., 1990), cat. no. 40, p. 168, repr. fig. 40b
Roberta Bernstein, Jasper Johns, Rizzoli (New York, 1992), fig. 3, n.p.
Contemporary Art, auct. cat., Christie's, New York (New York, NY, May 3, 1994), lot 58, p. 124, repr. (color) p. 125
Christine Mehring and Pamela Lee, Drawing is another kind of language: Recent American Drawings from a New York Private Collection, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1997), cat. no. 31, p. 84, repr. (color) p. 85
Harvard University Art Museums, Harvard University Art Museums Annual Report 2002-2003 (Cambridge, MA, 2004), repr. p. 22
Amy Eshoo, ed., 560 Broadway: A New York Drawing Collection at Work, 1991-2006, Fifth Floor Foundation and Yale University Press (New York, 2008), p. 153, p. 129 (repr.)
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., Harvard Art Museum/ Handbook, Harvard Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 2008), p. 231, repr.
- Exhibition History
Jasper Johns Drawings, Leo Castelli Gallery, New York, 01/10/1970 - 01/31/1970
Drawing is another kind of language: Recent Drawings from a New York Private Collection, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 12/12/1997 - 02/22/1998; Kunstmuseum Winterthur, Winterthur, 09/04/1998 - 11/15/1998; Kunst-Museum Ahlen, Ahlen, 12/06/1998 - 01/31/1999; Akademie Der Künste, Berlin, 02/19/1999 - 04/25/1999; Fonds régional d'art contemporain/Musée de Picardie, Amiens, 05/21/1999 - 08/15/1999; Parrish Art Museum, Southampton, 09/26/1999 - 11/14/1999; Lyman Allyn Museum, New London, 01/07/2000 - 03/12/2000; Mary and Leigh Block Museum of Art, Evanston, 09/21/2000 - 12/10/2000; The Contemporary Museum, Honolulu, 04/20/2001 - 06/10/2001
HAA 1 Survey Course: Survey of World Art: Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/23/2005 - 07/31/2005
- Subjects and Contexts
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com