- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Johannes Adam Simon Oertel, American (Fürth, Germany 1823 - 1909 Vienna, VA)
- Rock of Ages
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 123.3 x 70.5 cm (48 9/16 x 27 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.l.: J.A. Oertel / 1876. / [monogram] JAOe
- Acquired by William Hayes Fogg, New York; his bequest to his wife, Mrs. William Hayes Fogg, 1884; her bequest to the Fogg Art Museum, 1895.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Mrs. William Hayes Fogg
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
J.F. Oertel, A Vision Realized: A Life Story of Rev. J.A. Oertel, D.D., Artist, Priest, Missionary (Milwaukee, WI, 1917), ill. p. 69
Kimberly Orcutt, "Personal Collecting Meets Institutional Vision: The Origins of Harvard's Fogg Art Museum", Journal of the History of Collections (2006), vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 267-284, pp. 270, 274, fig. 6, p. 276
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 362-63, cat. 327, ill.
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com