- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
John Singleton Copley, American (Boston, MA 1738 - 1815 London, England)
- Study for "Charles I Demanding Impeachment of Five Members of The House of Commons"
- Work Type
- c. 1785
- Creation Place: North America, United States
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 64.1 x 76.5 cm (25 1/4 x 30 1/8 in.)
framed: 75.9 x 88.3 x 7 cm (29 7/8 x 34 3/4 x 2 3/4 in.)
- By descent to the artist's son, Lord Lyndhurst, London, 1815, sold [through his estate sale, Christie, Manson, and Woods, London, March 5, 1864, lot 63]; to Waters. Lady duCane, sold [through her sale, Christie, Manson, and Woods, London, February 17, 1902, lot 43]; to Brage. Baron Aberdare, by 1908, sold [through his sale, Christie, Manson, and Woods, London, June 3, 1932, lot 85]; to Chance. Copley Amory, Jr., gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1957
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Copley Amory, Jr.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Catalogue of the Very Valuable Collection of Pictures of the Rt. Hon. Lord Lyndhurst, deceased..., auct. cat., Christie, Manson and Woods, Ltd. (London, March 5, 1864), p. 6, lot 63
Henry T. Tuckerman, Book of the Artists: American Artist Life, Comprising Biographical and Critical Sketches of American Artists, Preceded by an Historical Account of the Rise and Progress of Art in America, Putnam (New York, NY, 1867), p. 79
Augustus Thorndyke Perkins, A Sketch of the Life and a List of Some of the Works of John Singleton Copley, J. R. Osgood & Company (Boston, MA, 1873), p. 22, 132
Algernon Graves, Century of Loan Exhibitions, 1813-1912 (London, England, 1913 - 1915), vol. I
Frank William Bayley, The Life and Works of John Singleton Copley: Founded on the Work of Augustus Thorndike Perkins, The Taylor Press (Boston, MA, 1915), pp. 34, 36, 76
John Singleton Copley, exh. cat., National Gallery of Art (Washington, D.C, 1965), pp. 119, 122, cat. 93, ill.
World Book Encyclopedia, Field Enterprises Educational Corp. (Chicago, IL, 1965), ill.
Jules David Prown, John Singleton Copley, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1966), vol. 2, pp. 344, 350, 402, 436, pl. 601
Monroe Stearns, The Story of New England, Random House (New York, NY, 1967), ill.
Justice and the Palette, exh. cat., Carroll Reece Museum (Johnson City, TN, 1968), cat. 19
Ige Verslype, "'You will be glad to know in what manner an Historical composition is made': A Study of the Preparatory Stages of John Singleton Copley's (1738-1815) History Paintings", Student Papers from the 30th Conference of the Association of North American Graduate Programs in Conservation, Queen's University (Kingston, Ontario, 2004), pp. 1-4, fig. 3
Kimberly Orcutt, Process and Paradox: The Historical Pictures of John Singleton Copley, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2004), pp. 7, 12
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press (U.S.) and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 152-153, cat. 95, ill.
Charlotte Emans Moore, Subscription Campaigns: Contributions in Support of Community, brochure, Boston Athenaeum (Boston, 2018), p. 10
- Exhibition History
Spring Exhibition, Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, 03/01/1908 - 06/01/1908
Spring Exhibition, Whitechapel Art Gallery, London, 03/01/1909 - 06/01/1909
John Singleton Copley, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 09/18/1965 - 10/31/1965; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 11/20/1965 - 01/02/1966; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Boston, 01/22/1966 - 03/06/1966
Justice and the Palette, Carroll Reece Museum, Johnson City, 03/10/1968 - 04/28/1968
The Persistence of Memory: Continuity and Change in American Cultures, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 07/29/1995 - 05/13/2001
Process and Paradox: The Historical Pictures of John Singleton Copley, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 05/08/2004 - 08/29/2004
Subscription Campaigns: Contributions in Support of Community, Boston Athenaeum, Boston, 04/09/2018 - 09/01/2018
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com