- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 99.7 x 80.7 cm (39 1/4 x 31 3/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: u.l.: Picasso
- inscription: On canvas verso: 13.3.49 // III // 4.5.49
- Pablo Picasso. [Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler, Paris]. [Curt Valentin Gallery, New York, New York], sold; to Joseph Pulitzer Jr., St. Louis, Missouri, 1952, gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1959.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Pulitzer, Jr.
- © Estate of Pablo Picasso / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Pablo Picasso: Paintings, Sculpture, Drawings, auct. cat., Curt Valentin Gallery (New York, 1952), fig. 10, ill.
Charles Scott Chetham, Modern Painting, Drawing & Sculpture: Collected by Louise and Joseph Pulitzer, Jr., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1957), pp. 81-82, fig. 11, ill. (plate section, b/w)
[Reproduction only], College Art Journal, College Art Association of America (New York, Spring 1960)., Cover, ill.
Fogg Art Museum Acquisitions, 1959-1962, Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, 1963), pp. 23-26, ill.
David Kolch, "Reconstruction System for Panel Painting Supports: A Review and Evaluation of Treatments in the Fogg Museum Laboratory, 1927-1952" (thesis (certificate in conservation), Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies , August 1977), Unpublished, pp. 1-60 passim
Caroline A. Jones, Modern Art at Harvard: The Formation of the Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Collections of the Harvard University Art Museums (New York, NY and Cambridge, MA, Harvard University Art Museums and Abbeville Press, 1985). With an essay by John Coolidge and a preface by John M. Rosenfield. To accompany the inaugural exhibition at the Sackler Museum, Oct 21 1985 - Jan 5 1986, p. 84, fig. 78, ill.
Kristin A. Mortimer and William G. Klingelhofer, Harvard University Art Museums: A Guide to the Collections, Harvard University Art Museums and Abbeville Press (Cambridge and New York, 1986), no. 229, p. 199, repr.
Marjorie B. Cohn, Classic Modern: the Art Worlds of Joseph Pulitzer Jr., Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2012), p. 238, fig. 11.2
- Exhibition History
Pablo Picasso: Paintings, Sculpture, Drawings, Curt Valentin Gallery, New York, 02/19/1952 - 03/15/1952
St. Louis Collects, City Art Museum of St. Louis, St. Louis, 04/07/1952 - 05/05/1952
A Tribute to Curt Valentin, City Art Museum of St. Louis, St. Louis, 01/14/1955 - 02/14/1955
Master Paintings from the Fogg Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/13/1977 - 08/31/1977
Modern Art at Harvard, Bunkamura Museum of Art, Tokyo, 07/31/1999 - 09/26/1999; Takamatsu City Museum of Art, Kagawa, 10/09/1999 - 11/14/1999; Matsuzakaya Art Museum, Nagoya, 12/02/1999 - 12/27/1999; Oita City Museum, Oita, 01/06/2000 - 02/06/2000; Museum of Modern Art, Ibaraki, Ibaraki, 02/11/2000 - 03/26/2000
32Q: 1330 Mid-Century Figurative, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 11/16/2014 - 10/13/2015
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com