- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Jacques-Louis David, French (Paris 1748 - 1825 Brussels)
- Count Rogari Holding the Papal Tiara; verso: blank page
- Work Type
- drawing, sketchbook page
- Physical Descriptions
- Black crayon, squared in graphite, on off-white antique laid paper
- 23.7 x 17.9 cm (9 5/16 x 7 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: recto, lower left, brown ink: [paraph of Eugène David; Lugt 839]
- inscription: recto, lower center, black crayon, by David: le comte Rogari; [lower right, graphite:] 5p 5p
- inscription: verso, graphite, by David: boharnois(?) 5pd 6po
- Jacques-Louis David, David Estate sale, Paris, A. N. Pérignon, 1826. sale, April 17, 1826, lot 75 or 79
Duchesse de Bassano, to her daughter Mlle de Bassano.
Mademoiselle de Bassano.
Martin Birnbaum, purchased from Mlle de Bassano, 1937, for Grenville L. Winthrop.
Grenville Lindall Winthrop, purchased 1937, bequest to Fogg, 1943.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Grenville L. Winthrop
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- The previous page (numbered 21) was removed before the sketchbook was acquired by the Fogg.
- Publication History
Arlette Sérullaz, Dessins de Jacques-Louis David, 1748-1825, Réunion des Musées Nationaux (Paris, 1991), p. 278, under no. 228
Pierre Rosenberg and Louis-Antoine Prat, Jacques-Louis David 1748-1825: Catalogue raisonné des dessins, Leonardo Arte (Milan, 2002), cat. no. 1659, repr. recto
- Related Works
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org