In 1911, the Fogg was the first museum to mount an exhibition of works by Hilaire-Germain-Edgar Degas (1834–1917). That pivotal show of 12 paintings proved to be the only one-man museum exhibition the artist received during his lifetime, and it remains the defining moment in the remarkable relationship that has existed ever since between the work of Degas and the Fogg, its staff, and students at Harvard University.
Today, Harvard’s holdings of works by Degas, recognized as one of the largest and most important in the United States, play a key role in our teaching and research missions. For the first time, Degas at Harvard unites over 70 works by the artist from across the university’s collections, including those at the Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection in Washington, DC, and the Houghton Library, in order to examine and present this rich body of paintings, sculptures, prints, drawings and photographs. Organized by Edward Saywell, Charles C. Cunningham Sr. Curatorial Associate, Department of Drawings; and Stephan Wolohojian, curator, Department of Paintings, Sculpture and Decorative Arts. An illustrated catalogue of all works by Degas in Harvard’s collections accompanies the exhibition.
Funding for this project has been generously provided by Mrs. Arthur K. Solomon, Manson Benedict, and the Edward A. Waters Publication Fund in the Andrew W. Mellon Publication Funds.