The Fogg Museum, which opened to the public in 1895, is Harvard’s oldest art museum. It is renowned for its extensive holdings of European and American art from the Middle Ages to the present. Comprising paintings, sculpture, photographs, prints, drawings, and decorative arts, the Fogg Museum’s collection oﬀers students, scholars and visitors a comprehensive survey of the history of Western art. Particular strengths include Italian early Renaissance, 17th-century Dutch, and 19th-century French and British art, including one of America’s premier collections of works by the Pre-Raphaelites and the celebrated Maurice Wertheim collection of impressionist and postimpressionist paintings. The museum also owns a signiﬁcant group of 19th- and 20th-century American paintings and works on paper, and is responsible for the Harvard University Portrait Collection, which represents individuals associated with Harvard’s history.
Special Notice: The galleries of the Fogg, Busch-Reisinger, and Arthur M. Sackler museums are currently closed for the ﬁnal phases of a renovation and expansion project. A new state-of-the-art Harvard Art Museums facility, designed by Renzo Piano Building Workshop, will unite the three museums under one roof, and will open to the public at our historic 32 Quincy Street location on November 16, 2014. Read more about the project, including an overview, timeline, and weekly updates, in our Renovation section. See the Visit page for information about access to the museums during the project.