- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Frederic Edwin Church, American (Hartford, CT 1826 - 1900 New York, NY)
- View of Wimmis, Valley of the Simmental, Switzerland
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on paper mounted on canvas
- 32.4 x 50.5 cm (12 3/4 x 19 7/8 in.)
- The artist's daughter Isabel Charlotte Church; her daughter, Louise Dawson Black (Mrs. John W. Gillette, Jr.); her son the Rev. Louis Church Gillette, Birmingham, MI; with Robert P. Weimann Gallery, Ansonia, CT, 1973; Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., 1973; his gift to the Harvard University Art Museums, 2005.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Theodore E. Stebbins Jr.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Carol Troyen, A Private Eye: Fifty Nineteenth-Century American Paintings, Drawings, & Watercolors from the Stebbins Collection, exh. cat., The Heckscher Museum of Art (Huntington, NY, 1977), pp. 32-33, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., Virginia Anderson, and Kimberly Orcutt, ed., American Paintings at Harvard, Volume Two, Paintings, Drawings, Pastels and Stained Glass by Artists Born 1826-1856, Harvard University Art Museums/Yale University Press (Cambridge, MA and New Haven, CT, 2008), p. 62-63, cat. 34, ill. p. 62
- Exhibition History
A Private Eye: Fifty Nineteenth-Century American Paintings, Drawings, & Watercolors from the Stebbins Collection, The Heckscher Museum of Art, Huntington, 09/30/1977 - 11/06/1977; George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, Springfield, 11/22/1977 - 01/08/1978
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com