- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Johann Christian Klengel, German (Kesselsdorf, Germany 1751 - 1824 Dresden, Germany)
- Baths of Trajan, Rome
- Work Type
- c. 1790-92
- Physical Descriptions
- Watercolor and black chalk on cream antique laid paper
- 30 x 48.5 cm (11 13/16 x 19 1/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: verso, lower right, copy pencil (now purple): Klengel [underlined] : Röm. Ruinen.
- collector's mark: verso, lower right, stamped, purple ink: Dr. / F.U.A. / Z. [Dr. Franz Ulrich Apelt, Zittau, not in Lugt]
- inscription: verso, upper right, graphite: Klengel / Röm. Ruinen
- watermark: center: J HONIG / & / ZOONEN
- Dr. Franz Ulrich Apelt, Zittau, Germany ( ? – 1944), by descent; to his daughter Brigitte and her husband Nikolai Paschkow, Endigen, Germany (1944 - ?), sold; [to C.G. Boerner LLC, New York, NY, sold]; to Harvard Art Museums, 2011.
Per Armin Kunz at C.G. Boerner LLC, Franz Ulrich Apelt (Zittau, Germany 1882-1944 Bauzen, Germany) bequeathed the drawing to his daughter Brigitte, married to Nikolai Paschkow in Endigen, Germany. C.G. Boerner LLC acquired the drawing from Mr. Paschkow which according to the dealer has been in Dr. Franz Ulrich Apelt's family since the 1930's.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Marian H. Phinney Fund and Agnes Mongan Purchase Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Anke Fröhlich, "Glücklich gewählte Natur..." Der Dresdner Landschaftsmaler Johann Christian Klengel (1751-1824): Monographie und Werkverzeichnis der Gemälde, Zeichnungen, Radierungen und Lithographien, Georg Olms Verlag (Hildesheim, Germany, 2005), p. 24, no. Z 504 pp. 211-212, repr. p. 212, cited p. 372 under no. G 323
An Album of Landscapes: German Drawings, Watercolors, and Oil Sketches, 1784-1868, auct. cat., C.G. Boerner, LLC (NY) (Düsseldorf, Germany and New York, NY, 2011), no. 8, pp. 16-17, repr. p. 17
- Exhibition History
Recent Acquisitions, Part II: Building the Collection, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/19/2012 - 09/29/2012
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org