- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Robert Salmon, American (Whitehaven, England c. 1775 - c. 1851 Cumberland, England)
- Smugglers by Moonlight
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on wood panel
- 24.2 x 31.1 cm (9 1/2 x 12 1/4 in.)
framed: 35.6 x 42.3 cm (14 x 16 5/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: l.r.: R S 1829
- inscription: on verso: "No. 607/Painted by Robert Salmon/1829"
- Purchased from the artist by Thomas H. Perkins, Boston, MA, at Boston Athenaeum sale (no. 167), 1829; descended in the Perkins family to 2010; purchased from Skinner, Inc, Boston, MA, (lot 383) September 24, 2010.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Daniel A. Pollack, Class of 1960, American Art Acquisition Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
John Wilmerding, Robert Salmon: Painter of Ship and Shore, Peabody Essex Museum and Boston Public Library (Boston, MA, 1971), p. 90
Robert F. Perkins, Jr. and William J. Gavin, III, The Boston Athenaeum Art Exhibition Index: 1827-1874, The Boston Athenaeum (1980), p. 124
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), p. 425, cat. 388, ill.
- Exhibition History
Unidentified Exhibition, Boston Athenaeum, 1829, Boston Athenaeum, Boston, 01/01/1829 - 12/31/1829
Recent Acquisitions, Part II: Building the Collection, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 06/19/2012 - 09/29/2012
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com