- Identification and Creation
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 64.8 x 54.6 cm (25 1/2 x 21 1/2 in.)
- Artemas Ward; descended in his family to 1925; their gift to Harvard University, with contents of Artemas Ward House, Shrewsbury, MA, 1925; transferred to Harvard University Portrait Collection, 2006.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard University Portrait Collection, General Artemas Ward House Museum, Shrewsbury MA, Bequest of Artemas Ward, 1925
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Ivan Gaskell and Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, "A Public Patriotic Museum:" Artworks and Artifacts from the General Artemas Ward House, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2006), p. 8, detail, ill. p. 1
Ivan Gaskell, "The Riddle of a Riddle", Contemporary Aesthetics, MPublishing, University of Michigan Library (Online, 2008), vol. 6, n.p., see footnote 4.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 29, 389-90, cat. 352, ill.
- Exhibition History
Portraits of Patriots, State House, Charleston, S.C., 12/01/1795 - 03/31/1796; Unknown venue, Savannah, GA, 03/31/1796 - 12/31/1797; Unknown venue, Baltimore, MD, 03/31/1796 - 12/31/1797
"A Public Patriotic Museum": Artworks and Artifacts from the General Artemas Ward House, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/14/2006 - 02/11/2007
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org