- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Sanford Robinson Gifford, American (Greenfield, NY 1823 - 1880 New York, NY)
- A Ledge on South Mountain, in the Catskills
- Other Titles
Former Title: Kaaterskill Clove
Former Title: Kauterskill Clove
- Work Type
- c. 1861-1862
- Creation Place: North America, United States, New York State
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil on canvas
- 32.7 x 27.3 cm (12 7/8 x 10 3/4 in.)
frame: 43.8 x 38.1 x 5.7 cm (17 1/4 x 15 x 2 1/4 in.)
- Gift from the artist to Dr. James C. Gifford; to his cousin by marriage, Mrs. Sanford R. (Alice) Gifford; to her son, Dr. Sanford Gifford, Cambridge, MA, 1985; his gift to the Harvard Art Museums, 2006.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Sanford Gifford, M.D.
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
John F. Weir, A Memorial Catalogue of the Paintings of Sanford Robinson Gifford, N.A., exh. cat., The Metropolitan Museum of Art (1881), no. 298
Ila Weiss, Sanford R. Gifford, Garland Publishers, Inc. (New York, 1977), pp. 231-232, fig. VII C 10
Ila Weiss, Poetic Landscape: The Art and Experience of Sanford R. Gifford, University of Delaware Press (Newark, DE, 1987), p. 230 (ill.), p. 231
Sandra Kelberlau, "How One Landscape-Painter Paints: The Technique of Sanford Robinson Gifford" (thesis (certificate in conservation), Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies, June 2006), Unpublished, pp. 1-8 passim
Michael Altman, Kevin Avery, and Donald Christensen, An Artist's Legacy and a Dealer's Admiration: Paintings by Sanford Robinson Gifford from Important American Collections, exh. cat., Michael Altman Fine Art & Advisory Services, LLC (New York, NY, 2012), pl. 14
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr. and Melissa Renn, American Paintings at Harvard, Volume One: Paintings, Watercolors, and Pastels by Artists Born before 1826, Yale University Press and Harvard Art Museums (Cambridge and New Haven, 2014), pp. 34, 222-23, cat. 173, ill.
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com