- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Arshile Gorky, American (Khorkom, Armenia 1904 - 1948 Sherman, CT)
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Graphite and colored wax crayons with stumping on off-white wove paper edged with lavender paper on left and right sides
- actual: 50.7 x 66.2 cm (19 15/16 x 26 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: graphite, l.r.: A. Gorky / 44
- gallery label: removed from backing, now in curatorial file, paper, printed and handwritten: No. 3353
- inscription: verso, graphite, lower right: 75--
- inscription: verso, graphite, lower right: J. LEVY
- inscription: verso, graphite, lower left: 7674
- Possibly Julian Levy, New York, New York. [Sidney Janis Gallery, New York, New York], sold to Lois Orswell, Pomfret Center, Connecticut, 1957, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 1977.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Lois Orswell
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- A strip of lavender paper has been added at the left and right edges, perhaps at the time of manufacture of the sheet-- seams are smooth. Pinholes at all corners.
- Publication History
Eila Kokkinen, Drawings by Five Abstract Expressionist Painters, exh. cat., Hayden Gallery (Cambridge, MA, 1975), cat. 11
Deborah Wye, "Gorky Drawing Enters Fogg Collection", Fogg Art Museum Newsletter, Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, April 1978), vol. 15, no. 3, p. 5, repr.
Timothy Anglin Burgard, American Art at Harvard: Cultures and Contexts, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1994), pp. 6, 12, cat. 74
Marjorie B. Cohn and Sarah Kianovsky, Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2002), cat. no. 54, fig. 65, pp. 96, 133, 371, 377, 381
Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Friends: Works from the Lois Orswell Collection, Harvard University, exh. cat., Knoedler & Co. Inc. (New York, 2003), cat. no. 5, repr. (color)
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., Harvard Art Museum/ Handbook, Harvard Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 2008), p. 218, ill.
- Exhibition History
Drawings by Five Abstract Expressionist Painters, Hayden Gallery, Cambridge, 02/21/1975 - 03/26/1975
New York School: From the First Generation, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 12/10/1975 - 01/06/1976
20th Century American Art, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/07/1976 - 05/19/1976
American Art at Harvard: Cultures and Contexts, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/01/1994 - 12/30/1994
Modern Art for Harvard: Prints and Drawings Acquired through the Generosity of Frederick B. and Virginia H. Deknatel, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 05/31/1995 - 08/06/1995
Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/21/2002 - 02/16/2003
Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Friends: Works from the Lois Orswell Collection, Harvard University, Knoedler & Co. Inc., New York, 11/14/2003 - 01/24/2004
HAA 1 Survey Course: Survey of World Art: Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/23/2005 - 07/31/2005
- Subjects and Contexts
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at email@example.com