- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Willem de Kooning, American (Rotterdam, Netherlands 1904 - 1997 East Hampton, NY)
- Reclining Woman
- Work Type
- c. 1948-1949
- Physical Descriptions
- Oil, graphite, and black and green crayon on cream illustration board
- 40.4 x 43.4 cm (15 7/8 x 17 1/16 in.)
image: 31.9 x 41.7 cm (12 9/16 x 16 7/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: graphite, l.r.: de Kooning
- inscription: Inscr. below image, graphite: NO 15 mat 3" on sides / 2" on top and bottom / ivory / small frame; lower right, blue ballpoint: op-16 1/4 x 12 7/16
- gallery label: back of frame: #3622
- [Sidney Janis Gallery, New York, New York], sold; to Lois Orswell, Pomfret Center, Connecticut, 1956, gift; to Harvard University Art Museums, 1996.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Lois Orswell
- © The Willem de Kooning Foundation / Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Timothy Anglin Burgard, American Art at Harvard: Cultures and Contexts, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1994), p. 12, cat. 73
Modern Art at Harvard, exh. cat., Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Inc. (Tokyo, Japan, 1999), cat. 64, ill.
Linda Norden, John Wesley: Love's Lust, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2001), n.p.
Marjorie B. Cohn and Sarah Kianovsky, Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2002), pp. 76, 108, 120, 371, 376, cat. 27, fig. 58, ill.
Theodore E. Stebbins, Jr., American Watercolors and Pastels 1875-1950 at the Fogg Art Museum, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2006), checklist
- Exhibition History
American Art at Harvard: Cultures and Contexts, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/01/1994 - 12/30/1994
Modern Art at Harvard, Bunkamura Museum of Art, Tokyo, 07/31/1999 - 09/26/1999; Takamatsu City Museum of Art, Kagawa, 10/09/1999 - 11/14/1999; Matsuzakaya Art Museum, Nagoya, 12/02/1999 - 12/27/1999; Oita City Museum, Oita, 01/06/2000 - 02/06/2000; Museum of Modern Art, Ibaraki, Ibaraki, 02/11/2000 - 03/26/2000
John Wesley: Love's Lust, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/20/2001 - 02/25/2001
Lois Orswell, David Smith, and Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/21/2002 - 02/16/2003
HAA 1 Survey Course: Survey of World Art: Modern Art, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/23/2005 - 07/31/2005
American Watercolors and Pastels, 1875-1950, at the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 04/08/2006 - 06/25/2006
HAA 10 Survey Course (S421): The Western Tradition: Art Since the Renaissance (Fall 08 Rotation 3), Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 11/20/2008 - 02/08/2009
American Art and Modernity, 1865–1965, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/04/2012 - 01/19/2013
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of Modern and Contemporary Art at firstname.lastname@example.org