- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Albrecht Dürer, German (Nuremberg 1471 - 1528 Nuremberg)
- Susanna of Bavaria
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Black chalk with touches of white chalk on green prepared antique laid paper
- 40.3 x 29.4 cm (15 7/8 x 11 9/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- collector's mark: verso, lower left, stamp: A.F.D. [Armin Firmin-Didot; Lugt 119]
- collector's mark: verso, lower left, stamp: J.P.H. [John Postle Heseltine; Lugt 1507]
- General Antoine-François Andreossy (possibly by 1809-1828). [Andreossy collection sale Paris, France, spring 1864]. Ambroise Firmin-Didot, Paris, France (?-1877), sold; [at his sale, Drouot, Paris, France, April 16- May 12, 1877, lot 21]. John Postle Heseltine, London, England. [P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., London, England (by 1918-1922), sold September 1922]; to Paul J. Sachs, Cambridge, MA (1922-1949), gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1949.
1. According to the May 22, 1864 issue of La Chronique des Arts et de la Curiosité (a supplement to the Gazette des Beaux-Arts), the Andreossy collection was sold in Spring 1864, although Andreossy had passed away in 1828. In the sale the drawing was listed as “portrait d’une jeune dame portant son petit chien,” and sold for 425 francs. Andreossy likely originally acquired the drawing when he was the military governor of Vienna in 1809.
2. Ambroise Firmin-Didot, 1790-1876 (Lugt 119)
3. John Postle Heseltine, 1843-1929 (Lugt 1507)
4. The drawing was not sold in the Heseltine sale at Frederik Muller & Co., Amsterdam, May 27-28, 1913, listed under Lugt 1507.
5. Per the drawing’s catalogue entry for the 1965-67 Paul J. Sachs Memorial Exhibition, Sachs expressed interest in the drawing when he first saw it at P. & D. Colnaghi & Co. in London in 1918.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Meta and Paul J. Sachs
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- Publication History
Friedrich Lippmann, Zeichnungen von Albrecht Dürer, George Grote (Berlin, 1883-1929), vol 2., cat. 172 p. 22, repr. as pl. 172
Hans Tietze and Erika Tietze-Conrat, Kritisches Verzeichnis der Werke Albrecht Dürers, Holbein-Verlag (Leipzig, Germany, 1928-1938), vol. 2, no. 941 p. 55, repr. p. 197 as fig. 941
Friedrich Winkler, Die Zeichnungen Albrecht Dürers, Deutscher Verein für Kunstwissenschaft (Berlin, Germany, 1936-1939), vol. 4, no. 914 pp. 84-85, repr. as pl. 914
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1940), no. 378, fig. 193
Agnes Mongan, Memorial Exhibition: Works of Art from the Collection of Paul J. Sachs [1878-1965] : given and bequeathed to the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, exh. cat., Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, 1965), cat. no. 12, repr.
Charles Werner Haxthausen, The Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University, Abbeville Press (New York, NY, 1980), p. 143, repr.
Penley Knipe, ""Grounds on Paper: An Examination of Eight Early Drawings"" (thesis (certificate in conservation), Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies, 1998), Unpublished, pp. 1-22 passim
Edward Saywell, "Behind the Line: The Materials and Techniques of Old Master Drawings", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1998), vol. VI, no. 2, pp. 7-29, checklist no. 9, p. 26
Les Marques de Collections de Dessins & d'Estampes, website, Fondation Custodia, 2015, under L.119
Campbell Dodgson, "A Newly Discovered Portrait Drawing by Dürer", Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs (August 1903), vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 286-287, 289-291, pp. 289-291, repr. p. 291
"Vente de la Collection Andreossy", La Chronique des Arts et de la Curiosité, supplément à la Gazette des Beaux-Arts (Paris, France, May 22, 1864), no. 66, pp. 161-162, p. 162 [as "portrait d'une jeune dame portant son petit chien"]
"Calendar: Events for the two weeks beginning October 8th 1998", Harvard University Gazette, Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, October 8, 1998), vol. XCIV, no. 4, repr. p. 15
- Exhibition History
Drawings from the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University (Collected by Paul J. Sachs), Century Club, New York, 05/12/1947 - 09/25/1947
Memorial Exhibition: Works of Art from the Collection of Paul J. Sachs [1878-1965] Given and Bequeathed to the Fogg Art Museum Harvard University Cambridge, Massachusetts, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 11/15/1965 - 01/15/1966; Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York, 12/19/1966 - 02/26/1967
Northern Renaissance Art: Selected Works, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 02/28/1984 - 04/08/1984
Behind the Line: The Materials and Techniques of Old Master Drawings, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/03/1998 - 12/30/1998
The Portrait, Harvard University Art Museums, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 10/15/2004 - 01/09/2005
Re-View: S426A (Large Niche) HAA252k The Age of Durer, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 11/13/2008 - 02/06/2009
- Subjects and Contexts
- Verification Level
3 - Good. Object is well described and information is vetted