- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Nicolas Poussin, French (Les Andelys, France 1594 - 1665 Rome, Italy)
- Moses Defending the Daughters of Jethro
- Work Type
- c. 1647
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink and brown wash on cream antique laid paper, laid down on cream antique laid paper
- 18.5 x 25.5 cm (7 5/16 x 10 1/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- watermark: none
- inscription: Verso, center, graphite: 188
- Thomas Dimsdale, London (his mark, L.2426, verso); Sir Thomas Lawrence, London (his mark, L.2445, lower left); Alan M. Stone, Northampton, MA, sold; to [Seiden & de Cuevas, Inc., 1977]; Fogg Art Museum, 1984, inv. no. 1984.580
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, The Melvin R. Seiden Fund and Louise Haskell Daly Fund
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Anthony Blunt, "Further Newly Identified Drawings by Poussin and His Followers", Master Drawings, Master Drawings Association (New York, Summer 1979), vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 119-46, 173-90, pp. 119-22, pl. I, repr.
Anthony Blunt, The Drawings of Nicolas Poussin, Yale University Press (New Haven, 1979), p. 71
Dessins français du XVIIe siècle, exh. cat., Editions de la Réunion des Musées Nationaux (Paris, 1984), under cat. no. 59, p. 52
Hilliard T. Goldfarb, From Fontainebleau to the Louvre: French Drawing from the Seventeenth Century, exh. cat., Cleveland Museum of Art/Indiana University Press (Cleveland, 1989), cat. no. 20, pp. 52-54, repr.
Pierre Rosenberg and Louis-Antoine Prat, Nicolas Poussin 1594-1665: catalogue raisonné des dessins, Leonardo (Milan, Italy, 1994), vol. I, cat. no. 305, pp. 592-93, repr., vol. II, p. 1211
Edward Saywell, "Behind the Line: The Materials and Techniques of Old Master Drawings", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1998), vol. VI, no. 2, pp. 7-29, checklist no. 20, p. 27
Edward Saywell, "Guide to Drawing Terms and Techniques", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1998), vol. VI, no. 2, pp. 30-39, p. 30
William W. Robinson, "Old Master and Nineteenth-Century Drawings at the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University", Master Drawings (Fall 2000), vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 233-240, p. 237, fig. 5, repr.
Louis-Antoine Prat, Le dessin français au XVIIe siècle, Somogy Éditions d'Art (Paris, 2013), pp. 76, 637, fig. 142, repr.
- Exhibition History
From Fontainebleau to the Louvre: French Drawings from the 17th Century, Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, 12/13/1989 - 01/28/1990; Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 02/24/1990 - 04/08/1990; National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, 05/06/1990 - 06/17/1990
Behind the Line: The Materials and Techniques of Old Master Drawings, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 10/03/1998 - 12/30/1998
Library Benefactors in the Class of 1952, Houghton Library, Cambridge, 06/03/2002 - 08/30/2002
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at email@example.com