- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
The Pioneer Group, Greek (active early 6th century BCE )
- Hydria (water jar): The Ransom of Hector
- Other Titles
- Alternate Title: Attic Red-figure Hydria: The Ransom of Hector
- Work Type
- 510-500 BCE
- Creation Place: Ancient & Byzantine World, Europe, Athens (Attica)
- Archaic period
Level 3, Room 3410, South Arcade
View this object's location on our interactive map
- Physical Descriptions
- 38.1 cm h x 38 cm diam at handles (15 x 14 15/16 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: in Greek, "Priamos"
- [Munzen und Medaillen AG, Basel, May 6, 1967, Auction 34, lot 149], sold; to Frederick M. Watkins, New Haven, CT, (1967-1972), bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1972.
- State, Edition, Standard Reference Number
- Standard Reference Number
- Beazley Archive Database #352403
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Bequest of Frederick M. Watkins
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- Asian and Mediterranean Art
- Publication History
The Frederick M. Watkins Collection, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1973)
David Gordon Mitten and Amy Brauer, Dialogue with Antiquity, The Curatorial Achievement of George M. A. Hanfmann, exh. cat., Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1982), p. 12, no. 17.
Kristin A. Mortimer, Harvard University Art Museums: A Guide to the Collections, Harvard University Art Museums/Abbeville Press (Cambridge, MA; New York, NY, 1985), p. 103, no. 113, ill.
James Cuno, Harvard's Art Museums: 100 Years of Collecting, Harvard University Art Museums/Harry N. Abrams, Inc. (Cambridge, MA, 1996), p. 98-99, ill.
Lexicon Iconographicum Mythologiae Classicae (LIMC), Artemis (Zürich, Switzerland, 1999), Achilleus 655.
Luca Zoppi, "Reinventing the Iliad", The Word, ed. Sarah MacDonald, Boylan Group (Drogheda, 2004), Vol. 53/No. 9, p. 23
Dr. Sheramy D. Bundrick, Selling Sacrifice on Classical Athenian Vases, Hesperia, American School of Classical Studies at Athens (Athens, 2014), vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 653-708, pp. 673-674, fig. 6
George M. A. Hanfmann and David Gordon Mitten, "The Art of Classical Antiquity", Apollo (May 1978), Vol. 107, No. 195, 8-15, fig. 8.
- Exhibition History
Dialogue with Antiquity: The Curatorial Achievement of George M.A. Hanfmann, Fogg Art Museum, 05/07/1982 - 06/26/1982
The Frederick M. Watkins Collection, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 01/31/1973 - 03/14/1973
To Bid Farewell: Images of Death in the Ancient World, Rhode Island School of Design, Museum of Art, Providence
Re-View: S422 Ancient & Byzantine Art & Numismatics, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 04/12/2008 - 06/18/2011
Ancient to Modern, Harvard Art Museums, Cambridge, 01/31/2012 - 06/01/2013
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
- Verification Level
3 - Good. Object is well described and information is vetted