- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Adrian Zingg, Swiss (St. Gall, Switzerland 1734 - 1816 Leipzig, Germany)
- View of Dresden
- Work Type
- c. 1788
- Physical Descriptions
- Black ink and gray wash over graphite on off-white antique laid paper
- 48.9 x 64.5 cm (19 1/4 x 25 3/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- watermark: C & I HONIG
- inscription: old mount, in John Witt Randall's hand: Executed by Adrian Zingg for the elder Richter (father of Louis Richter) of Dresden and purchased at the sale of his effects at Dresden.
- Carl August Richter, Dresden; John Witt Randall, bequest; to Belinda Lull Randall, his sister, 1892, gift; to Fogg Art Museum, 1898.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Gift of Belinda L. Randall from the collection of John Witt Randall
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1940), vol. I, cat. no. 430, p. 219, vol. III, fig. 213, repr.
Ernst Scheyer, "German Paintings and Drawings from the Time of Goethe in American Collections", The Art Quarterly (Summer 1949), vol. XII, no. 3, pp. 231-250, cat. no. 145
Thomas DaCosta Kaufmann, Central European Drawings, 1680-1800: a Selection from American Collections, exh. cat., Princeton University Art Museum (Princeton, NJ, 1989), cat. no. 102, pp. 18, 22, 268, repr.
William W. Robinson, Classicism-Romanticism-Realism: German Drawings from Mengs to Menzel in the Harvard University Art Museums, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1998), checklist no. 43, repr.
Sarah Vure, The John Witt Randall Collection: Seeking the True and the Beautiful, brochure, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1998), checklist no. 37
William W. Robinson, "John Witt Randall: An Early American Collector of Later German Drawings", Master Drawings (Summer 2001), vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 159-168, pp. 162, 164, fig. 1
- Exhibition History
German Paintings and Drawings from the Time of Goethe in American Collections, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, 11/17/1949 - 12/15/1949
19th-Century German Drawings and Watercolors, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 07/01/1981 - 08/31/1981
From Mengs to Menzel: 19th-Century German Drawings, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 10/28/1981 - 12/22/1981
19th-Century Drawings from the Permanent Collection, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 09/01/1983 - 10/09/1983
Central European Drawings 1680-1800: A Selection from American Collections, Princeton University Art Museum, Princeton, 10/21/1989 - 12/03/1989; University Art Museum, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, 01/10/1990 - 02/25/1990
Classicism-Romanticism-Realism: German Drawings from Mengs to Menzel in the Harvard University Art Museums, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 04/04/1998 - 06/28/1998
- Subjects and Contexts
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org