- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Albrecht Dürer, German (Nuremberg 1471 - 1528 Nuremberg)
- The Lamentation of Christ
- Work Type
- Physical Descriptions
- Brown ink on white antique laid paper
- 29 x 21 cm (11 7/16 x 8 1/4 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- Signed: brown ink, u.r.: 1521 / AD [monogram]
- Baron Dominique Vivant Denon, Paris; possibly Thomas Lawrence; Pierre Defer and Henri Dumesnil, Paris (their mark, L.739); his sale, Paris, May 10-12, 1900, lot 38; Leboeuf de Montgermont; his sale, Paris, Galerie Georges Petit, 16-19 June 1919, lot 232; Féral; to Paul J. Sachs; Meta and Paul J. Sachs, bequest; to Fogg Art Museum, 1965, inv. no. 1965.339
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Meta and Paul J. Sachs
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- The Harvard Art Museums encourage the use of images found on this website for personal, noncommercial use, including educational and scholarly purposes. To request a higher resolution file of this image, please submit an online request.
- Publication History
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1940), vol. I, cat. no. 377, pp. 188-89, vol. III, fig. 192, repr.
Agnes Mongan, Memorial Exhibition: Works of Art from the Collection of Paul J. Sachs [1878-1965] : given and bequeathed to the Fogg Art Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, exh. cat., Harvard University (Cambridge, MA, 1965), cat. no. 11, repr.
Konrad Oberhuber, European Master Drawings of Six Centuries from the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., National Museum of Western Art (Tokyo, 1979), cat. no. 25, n.p., pl. 25, repr.
Charles Werner Haxthausen, The Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University, Abbeville Press (New York, NY, 1980), p. 144, repr.
Kristin A. Mortimer, Harvard University Art Museums: A Guide to the Collections, Harvard University Art Museums/Abbeville Press (Cambridge, MA; New York, NY, 1985), cat. no. 261, p. 224, repr.
Edward Saywell, "Guide to Drawing Terms and Techniques", Harvard University Art Museums Bulletin, Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 1998), vol. VI, no. 2, pp. 30-39, pp. 32-33
Jordan Kantor, Dürer's Passions, exh. cat., Harvard University Art Museums (Cambridge, MA, 2000), cat. no. 92, repr.
Johann Kräftner, ed., Rubens in Vienna: The Masterpieces, exh. cat., Christian Brandstätter Verlag/Liechtenstein Museum (Vienna, 2004), under cat. no. 17, fig. 1, repr.
Stephan Wolohojian, ed., Harvard Art Museum/ Handbook, Harvard Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 2008), p. 67, repr.
- Exhibition History
Memorial Exhibition: Works of Art from the Collection of Paul J. Sachs [1878-1965] Given and Bequeathed to the Fogg Art Museum Harvard University Cambridge, Massachusetts, Fogg Art Museum, Cambridge, 11/15/1965 - 01/15/1966; Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York, 12/19/1966 - 02/26/1967
European Master Drawings of Six Centuries from the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 11/03/1979 - 12/16/1979
Northern Renaissance Art: Selected Works, Busch-Reisinger Museum, Cambridge, 02/28/1984 - 04/08/1984
Dürer's Passions, Harvard University Art Museums, Cambridge, 09/09/2000 - 12/03/2000
Re-View: S426A (Large Niche) HAA252k The Age of Durer, Harvard Art Museums/Arthur M. Sackler Museum, Cambridge, 11/13/2008 - 02/06/2009
- Subjects and Contexts
Google Art Project
This record has been reviewed by the curatorial staff but may be incomplete. Our records are frequently revised and enhanced. For more information please contact the Division of European and American Art at firstname.lastname@example.org