- Identification and Creation
- Object Number
Francesco Salviati, Italian (Florence, Italy 1510 - 1563 Rome, Italy)
- A Nude Man
- Work Type
- 16th century
- Creation Place: Europe, Italy, Tuscany, Florence
- Physical Descriptions
- Red chalk on cream antique laid paper, laid down overall on cream antique paper
- 39.2 x 24.4 cm (15 7/16 x 9 5/8 in.)
- Inscriptions and Marks
- inscription: l.r. edge, black chalk: Giuseppe Salviati
- inscription: verso, backing sheet, u.r., black chalk: M. A. Buonarotti
- inscription: verso, backing sheet, l.r., graphite: Andrea del Sarto
- watermark: backing sheet: According to the results of an analysis in the file, the watermark is of D & C Blauw, Heawood 3268 -- the watermark and countermark are superimposed because the card was made of double thickness of paper.
- Charles A. Loeser, Florence, Italy, Bequest to Fogg Art Museum, 1932.
- Acquisition and Rights
- Credit Line
- Harvard Art Museums/Fogg Museum, Bequest of Charles A. Loeser
- Accession Year
- Object Number
- European and American Art
- Publication History
Bernard Berenson, The Drawings of the Florentine Painters, The University of Chicago Press (Chicago, IL, 1938), vol. I, p. 273 (n. 2) and vol. II, no. 55D, p. 5, as Andrea del Sarto, repr...
Agnes Mongan and Paul J. Sachs, Drawings in the Fogg Museum of Art, Harvard University Press (Cambridge, MA, 1940), vol. 1, cat. no. 176, p. 95; vol. 2, repr. fig. 92 as Andrea del Sarto
Konrad Oberhuber, European Master Drawings of Six Centuries from the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, exh. cat., National Museum of Western Art (Tokyo, 1979), cat. no. 17, n.p., pl. 17, repr.
Konrad Oberhuber, ed., Old Master Drawings: Selections from the Charles A. Loeser Bequest, Fogg Art Museum (Cambridge, MA, 1979), cat. no. 21, pp. 54-55, and p. 8, repr.
Agnes Mongan, Konrad Oberhuber, and Jonathan Bober, The Famous Italian Drawings at the Fogg Art Museum in Cambridge, Silvana Editoriale (Milan, Italy, 1988), cat. no. 36, n.p., and p. 36, repr. (color)
Luisa Mortari, Francesco Salviati, Leonardo-De Luca Editori (Rome, Italy, 1992), no. 28, p. 174, fig. 28
Carlo Francini, "L'inventario della collezione Loeser alla Villa Gattaia", Bollettino della Società di Studi Fiorentini (2000), no. 6, p. 118 ("Cartella con due stelle nere")
- Exhibition History
Bacchiacca and his Friends; Florentine Paintings and Drawings of the Sixteenth Century, Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, 01/10/1961 - 02/19/1961
European Master Drawings of Six Centuries from the Collection of the Fogg Art Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 11/03/1979 - 12/16/1979
- Subjects and Contexts
Artstor Digital Library
Google Art Project
- Verification Level
3 - Good. Object is well described and information is vetted